Audio Laptop Recomendation?

My job is moving me around quite a bit right now and I could be on the road for awhile. It sucks to live out of a hotel, but it shouldn't suck quite as hard if I am able to bring some means of making music with me the next time I go out. I'm planning on taking every part of my studio with me but my current audio pc. If that got lost or stolen I would be kicking myself in the ass so hard that you could say I was kicking myself in the teeth.

Can anyone guide me to a decent laptop for audio that would be under $1000 and not apple? I've never really owned a laptop before and certainly have never used one for music production. Is there anything I need to be aware of?

Thanks.

Can anyone guide me to a decent laptop for audio that would be under $1000 and not apple?

You can't get any Apple laptop for under $1000. The cheapest Macbook Air starts at $1000 and they rapidly go up from there.

That solves that problem.

I've had a Toshiba and Samsung laptop, and I can't say I was happy with the Toshiba. They can make good TVs but I don't think they can make a laptop that works. I had to take mine back to the store about five times before the extended warranty expired, and they just ended up giving me a replacement (the Samsung).

The Samsung, so far, is one and a half years old and hasn't given me any trouble. It runs just about everything decently but not super-awesomely.

Without knowing exactly what kind of things you need for your audio software (and maybe hardware), I can't really recommend any specific model. But I would make sure that whatever you do get, do get the extended in-store warranty. People say it's a giant scam, but that doesn't apply to expensive, fragile things like laptops. It's saved my ass on that Toshiba multiple times and netted me a (mostly) free replacement.

Right now I am thinking my setup will be just my monitors, my headphones, a midi keyboard that only uses midi cables and as many of my VST's that i can put on a second machine (DAMN YOU EAST WEST!)

I put together my audio pc myself and it seems to me that alot of pc's that are marketed as audio pc's are horribly overpriced for what they are yet I don't want to take the time or money to try making a laptop. I think as long as I have ASIO drivers with the right inputs for my stuff i'll be fine.

My setup is kind of stuck in 2006 and the only interface I ever needed is part of my soundcard. Would I be able to buy just any laptop that can run Sonar then supplement it with USB soundcards and external interfaces?