*NO* Metroid Prime 1, 2 & 3 'Club Elysia'

DragonAvenger

Hey, I've got another remix that I hope will make the cut -

Contact Info -

ReMixer Name: SMMsideproject

Submission Info -

Games arranged - Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Name of arrangement - Club Elysia

Individual songs arranged - Gandrayda's Theme, Ridley's Theme, Torvus Bog

------------------

- Torvus Bog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvZ1leqQfT0 - Gandrayda

- Meta Ridley (?)

• 4 weeks later...

I listened to this one for a while, and there are a few immediate issues that stand out to me. The first stems from the overall mechanical feel of pretty much all the instruments. I'd go with saying that you could overhaul the entire thing for humanization, which would be a good start on fixing things up. Instrument attacks could be tweaked as well, a lot of the piano parts are hitting full force for every note. Moving beyond that, there's some balance issues that are also present, like the backing strings in the beginning sections drowning out the melody line (which is a bit piercing).

Arrangement-wise I think this is pretty decent, but I think you could do more to arrange the melodies themselves. There are also a couple areas that feel a bit repetitious, and could be trimmed out.

Pretty good start. There's definitely work to be done, but I think you're on the right track here.

NO (resubmit)

This is a good start, as Deia mentioned, but it needs further refinement in some balance and sequencing areas.

The leads are piercing, and overall the high end is super hyped. That needs to come down a bit to give the bass a chance. It sounds completely dominated by the treble right now. This is the biggest issue, right now.

The sequencing could also stand to be more humanized, especially the piano. The drums and synths overall are working, but a lot of things sound very rigid and pounded on; there is no nuance.

The arrangement is good, if not a little on the long side, but overall I think this has potential. I'd love to hear a more polished version of this, please. :-)

No, please resubmit

I'm a huge fan of the Metroid Prime soundtracks, so I'm glad to hear some remixes that touch on some of the best under-remixed tracks on it. This is a pretty cool arrangement with some nice personalization going on, but the production and sequencing is going to need some work to get up to par.

For starters, I'd definitely heed the other judges' suggestions about humanizing your entire track and doing what you can to vary up some of the timing. It seems like all of your instruments are playing at exactly the same velocity and that everything is quantized directly to the beat. I think changing up your melodies, throwing in some notes that don't perfectly align to a 4/4 time signature would really give this mix more of a motion and generally keep it more interesting.

Your drum mixing feels pretty inconsistent here - when the rest of the mix is stripped down and simple, the kick is borderline overpowering. However, during the more energetic sections, I can barely hear it at all, which is unfortunate because you really want to create that sense of drive and movement during those 4-on-the-floor sections, and that can't happen when the kick is barely audible.

You've got some cool synth sounds going, but like Deia and Andrew mentioned, they're generally way too piercing. Honestly, I'd suggest dropping your sine lead an octave and see how that sounds, it's just hitting the notes too high overall and the sample/synth isn't built to handle that, it just ends up being too thin to carry the track as a melody line. If dropping it an octave doesn't help for whatever reason, my next suggestion would be simply to exchange your lead sounds and utilize the go-to Metroid Prime sine lead as a countermelody elsewhere in the song. However you approach it, something's gotta give with the leads so they're a bit more dominant and not pushed so far into the super-high frequencies.

Lots of feedback for you to internalize here, this one would take a lot of work to get up to the bar that might be better spent on new tracks that will help you keep improving your craft. However, it's doable if you really stick with it. It's totally up to you, but keep working at music and refining your technique either way! You've got some good building blocks here, so with some more practice you'll get there!

NO