Flying to Combat (2:04 - 3:10)

Heroes Funeral (3:10 - 4:35)

Additional Info

Systems Released On: MS-DOS, SNES, 3DO

Composers: George "The Fatman" Sanger and Dave Govett

Link to Soundtrack

http://www.wcnews.com/music/

Comments

Well I'm back at it again... I've been dying to do something epic and lengthy like my very first OCR remix The Memory Leak Suite for some time now. Wing commander is one of those games which, much like the other games I've remixed in the past, has great / epic music bones that are just begging to be reorchestrated! I had tons of fun with this one and even went outside of the box a bit with some of my orchestration while still retaining the vibe and themes of the original pieces. Speaking of vibe, I approached this as if it were a Wing Commander film produced by Jerry Bruckheimer and wanted to compose something epic and zimmerish.. which I think I've accomplished. The first part of the suite uses the chord progression from the main march, just slowed down a bit... which is a great progression in its own right. That leads into a foreboding version of the briefing cue, which then segways into an action packed rendition of Scramble eventually leading in to Flying to Combat and A Heroes Funeral to finish things off. I hope you have as much fun listening to this one as I had making it!

-----------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eblKEGr-FJk - Fanfare

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJh-BTD-Uxg - Briefing

- Take-off 5:24, Funeral 8:04

(not sure on the flying to battle, any help would be appreciated)

• 4 weeks later...

Really like your opening. You've added a lot of tension to it, which makes me really want to hear what's coming up next. Great way to start the track.

As this is arranged in order, I can tackle things in order. After the awesome opening, there's a few things that stuck out right away to me. The first is some of the faster articulations turn into a bit of a blurred mess, and I think they aren't fitting well into the track. 0:27 is the first instance, and later on at 0:44. Making them clearer would help, but I think you might want to go for a triplet or something that isn't so rushed feeling overall. The next point of contention is the instrument articulations overall, and especially the string articulation. Things overall sound pretty good, but the attacks don't seem to be lining up right, and the strings have that weird slapback, for a lack of a better word, that is off the beat and is throwing me off, too. Next is the transition into the happier feel at 0:54. Right now it's pretty out of nowhere, and the two parts aren't really feeling cohesive. I think it needs a bit of a better lead-in.

Briefing is next, and I like how you approached the string attacks here vs. the original. Again, a lot more tension in just that little bit. There's another strange transition at 1:28, something to smooth out. Scramble sounds fine, except for that string attack. Heroes Funeral is pretty nice, reminds me of Star Wars a lot, which is a good thing. No real qualms with that section.

Overall, this is a medley, and it's very obvious that it is a medley. There are some really nice spots, I love the into, and the funeral section, and there are some nice spots throughout, but this isn't something suited for OCR. I think there's a lot more you can do with one or two themes instead of the five you've put here. Overall the transitions are your weakest areas, both between songs and in each section as well. I'd say if you're looking to get on OCR, cut out 3 of the songs at least and expand on what you have to begin with here, and look more into that string sample.

NO

very exciting intro, I love the modern bass sound mixed in with the choir and orchestra. Some of the transitions are really weak though, and abrupt, and a lot of instruments feel like there is too much reverb on them. Some of the drums specifically; I can tell you are interested in having a huge sound, but it's just a little too much with the pattern. Halfway through and the bass drop is starting to feel overdone as well. It's awesome the first few times, but when it's every 8 measures, it loses it's charm. :/

The themes are well presented, but they don't feel expanded as much as simply lined up and connected with bass drops. The themes are really nice, and a lot of the track is working; but between the simplistic and sometimes jarring transitions, over-reverbed instruments, and lack of expansion, I think that this needs more work before it's ready. The ending was classy, and I enjoyed a lot of this, but please polish it up a bit more. :-)

No, please resubmit

Couldn't agree more with my fellow judges here - this is a really nicely produced mix that's got a very epic quality to it, but it feels more like a long series of sketches that are loosely tied together but don't really transition well into one another. I'll also second the critique about the bass drop, it really is used too frequently here to really carry much impact. The other synthetic elements were worked in really tastefully though, I enjoyed that.

Maybe take some of these ideas and bring a few of your favorites more into focus and expand on them, and use less full-drop-off transitions so that the song has a bit more momentum. It's sounding good though :-) Keep at it!

NO (resub!)