*NO* Final Fantasy 'If I Could Sail the World'

DragonAvenger

Remixer Name: TheoConfidor

Game: Final Fantasy

Track Title: If I Could Sail the World

Original Song: Sailing Ship Theme

Comments: This song features live guitar and bass played by me, with Eric Golub playing the violin lead from 1:56-2:56. This submission is for the Final Fantasy 1 project organized by Brandon Strader

---------------------

• 3 weeks later...

Nice and charming arrangement. I do think the string passing tone at :31 and a few other spots is a little overused. Generally that sortof chromatic color is used a little more sparingly. I think the first 2 should be removed, and then from 1:14 on it could be added. Gives the song a minor sense of development when you don't hear it the first time through, but it is added later, and gives the arrangement more of a sense of direction.

Production is decent overall, though the panning choices of melody completely on the left and chords on the right is really distracting and unbalanced on headphones. Some parts feel pretty sparse to me as well, and really what could be done to fix things across the board would be some slow quarter note clean or acoustic guitar arpeggios on the left side. It'd balance things better, and give more sonic interest in the sparse sections.

Performances were solid, and and the samples sounded decent, though some of the string ensemble attacks were a little bit stiff.

Overall I really enjoy this track, but think a tiny bit of detailed polish would push it over. Fixing the L/R balance, and smoothing the string articulation is the most important aspect.

No, please resubmit

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I can't help but think of a high school prom slow dance for this one. Nice work evoking a new feeling into the source. I will agree with Andrew that the passing tone is a bit overused, and could be adjusted to show up later. I'm also noticing the mechanical feel on the strings, and later on, the brass. Adding a bit more human touch on those will add more emotion overall. Andrew also mentioned the panning, so I will agree and not go have to go into any further detail there :P.

Liking this one, hope you fix it up!

NO (resubmit)

You guys are right, now that I listen more carefully this is definitely imbalanced on the panning, it gets really dominant in the right ear which can be distracting if you're paying attention. The bass is a bit boomy too, not sure if that would really need any fixing since it seems like an appropriate-enough choice for the genre but it's worth taking into consideration. I don't feel bothered at all by the mechanical sequencing on the strings/brass, the samples sound nice enough and it's not far enough in the forefront to be an issue as far as I'm concerned. I guess it wouldn't hurt to touch that up too while you're at it, though. The same goes for the vibraphone - it sounds pretty good as-is but it does have a bit of a mechanical quality to the sequencing and the writing itself is not really that interesting. Throw in a few grace notes to give the "performance" a little bit more of a human character, if you feel it's appropriate.

On the plus side, your live performances are all fantastic and the piano sounds SO much better than when I first started critiquing the track. This is so close, fix up a few things and send it back for an easy pass :-)

NO (resub!)