*NO* Touhou Eiyashou: Imperishable Night 'History's Keeper'

DragonAvenger

Contact Information

ReMixer name - S-Flare

Real name - Joe Griffith

Userid - 21941

Submission Information

Name of game arranged - Touhou Eiyashou: Imperishable Night (東方永夜抄 ~ Imperishable Night)

Name of arrangement - History's Keeper

Name of individual song(s) arranged - Plain Asia

Additional information about game:

Composer - Junya Ota (ZUN)

Published - August 2004

Platform - Windows

Developer/Publisher - Team Shanghai Alice

Source Track -

(best I could find)

Comments:

I can't help but feel there aren't nearly enough Touhou ReMixes on OCR, despite how great a lot of the music is! I was randomly browsing Youtube for ideas, when I stumbled across Plain Asia and almost immediately came up with something I thought could work for a ReMix. It had everything I needed - a strong, memorable melody that I could play around with and the subject character gave me an opportunity to try splicing two contrasting ideas together.

Before even starting to search for a subject, I'd known I wanted to do a ReMix in two parts - with contrasting sections for each part. In this case, I used the intro/outro as a sort of representation for Keine's human form, and the main meat of the track (starting at around 1:00) for her beast form.

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty awesome theme to work with. You're absolutely right, Touhou has some sweet music that isn't appreciated enough here, and certainly would be quite nice to get more mixes from awesome sources like this.

You have a good start to this mix, but there's a few things that are holding this back right now. The first thing I notice is the section 1:04- 1:34. While it does have it's connection to the source, it feels completely like a filler section due to the lack of a clear melody. After that doesn't improve much, as it feels a lot like noodling until the lead comes back in. I think both those sections can either be shortened, or broken up by the lead melody making an appearance before it breaks away again.

The next big issue is the repetitiveness overall of the lead melody. It's awesome, to be sure, but there is very little change, if at all, per repetition, which loses interest quickly. I'd look into altering the melody, or finding some other substitutes instead of having it repeat so much. Maybe consider another source to compliment what you have?

Lastly for now, the drums are honestly pretty boring. The kick could use a little more oomph, and the other stuff is pretty weak, especially since it is essentially looped almost completely through the faster portion of the track. Look into some fills and different loops that will compliment your arrangement more.

Plenty to work on, but you've definitely got a good start here. I like the more thoughtful opening and ending, and the contrast in the middle is definitely a good idea. Good luck!

NO

THe intro is really nice, and there is a lot of coolness included here, but

once the song is going full on, though, it starts to feel repetitive and lacking in power. The drums especially feel a little wimpy, and the bass is very hard to hear at all, and im not even sure that there is a bass instrument. There is some acoustic guitar that plays in a semi-low register, but it definitely doesn't feel like bass to me.

I'd boost the drums, add some bass, and try to trim the arrangement down slightly. There is promise here, it just needs some additional love.

No

I was actually really drawn in and captivated by the intro, though I think the acoustic guitar could be brought down just a tad in favor of allowing some more sweeping ambiance to envelop the listener.

Once it kicks in, you've got some nice instrumentation, despite some rather blah synth choices overall. I don't particularly feel like this gets too repetitive or too long, except maybe in regards to the piano melody. Changing up one of the repetitions would probably be enough to nullify this concern. Your drums and bass are also sorely lacking, I'd increase the compression and EQ your kick to your liking so it stands out more and bring up the rest of the drums, as well, but be sure to leave room for a bassline because the track definitely needs one of those.

I'm actually rather fond of this, I think you could make something very passable out of this, it'll just take some reworking and a new approach to how you utilize your soundfield here.

NO (resub!)