Final Fantasy 8 - The Man With the Machine Gun Remix (WIP)

LIonGraphiK

At the moment in time, there is so much yet to do with this remix; all I've done at the moment is changed a few instruments and messed with the effects a little. What I hope to do is.. remove the dissonances and vary the gross beat so it's made for only certain instruments such as the hi-hats, bass and ostinato counter melody. ..I may adjust the tempo a little; and also I hope to add my own parts; I don't know how that is going to work... I would like to blend this piece with another hopefully. At the moment, I'm fairly happy with the chosen instruments; it is just adding my own parts, adjusting the theme; re-wiring the kit etc. etc.

Give me some input, and I'm sorry about the quality and grungyness of the track; I haven't mastered it either.:-)

Huh. I'm actually used to an arrangement that, while incomplete, is generally 'finished' up to the point that it's been done to. Not to say anything against your methods of writing, but it caught me off guard. I'm assuming the other parts are coming soon.

From what is here, though, I can tell this will be a fairly conservative mix that doesn't stray from the source too much. The ostinato might have a note or two that are not like the source, but I honestly can't tell because the delay drowns the notes out. You might want to lower the wetness or volume of the delay a touch, not so much as to lose the effect but just enough so the base instrument can be heard clearly. There are a couple of spots in the other instruments where the delay bleeds unintentionally into different sections - minor, sure, but it's best to catch these things early rather than leave them for later.

The theme at 0:53 is a third below the source. Whether that was intentional or not, I can't say, but if you were trying to sound like the source then raise the notes up by a third. Compare your track to the source and try to match it.

Otherwise, I can't say much - this is in a state where I can't really provide too much useful feedback. Good luck with it - Laguna always had awesome battle music, so it's nice to hear people remix it.

I would like to say the thirds below was my intention; as I wish to expand on that part myself. I will include the thirds above using a different timbre, it could be effective; as for the wetness of the sound; I'll see what I can do and bring that instrument out just a knicker elastic louder. I am however, trying to match it as close to the original as possible but just with a few tweaks to create that 'spark' or 'feel' to reminisce the first time they heard the track. I might experiment with changing the ostinato- but little will be done as.. it is the key part that most of us all remember, right? As for the hi-hats.. they are too tinny, so I might up the bass a little or perhaps remove that and put in my own kit sounds; sampling or otherwise. I do like your advice, I agree with all you have said, minus the thirds below. (that was intentional, just to see how it will work)