www.bstrader.net

Zelda - Lime of the Season project

Game: Zelda: Oracle of Seasons, Pac-Man

Main source: Hide 'n' Seek http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BERV8jIcHls

Second source: Here Comes Maple!

Third source: Overworld

Fourth source: Pac-Man Muzak from Pac-Man

Remix name: I Like, Like Like You

It's not a medley, I just threw a couple bits together that seemed to fit. Like the "Overworld" motif was just something that happened to fit into my solo section. And the Pac-Man music just happened to fit on top of the Hide 'n' Seek riff. The "Here Comes Maple!" bit was suggested by Hylian Lemon for the chorus, he also named the song because he thinks he's sooooo cool and smart. ;)

This remix has live guitars and bass of course but also ukulele, recorder, and glockenspiel... I wanna use more instruments in music and they're just lying around so why not.

At the beginning you can hear me open a box of matches, grab one, close the box of matches, light up a match, and go "woah". It was my first time playing a box of matches as a musical instrument.

There might be an homage to RoboCop theme on the glockenspiel during the intro, unless you're not cool with that in which case I deny it. Deny deny deny.

0:08 to 1:22 is Hide 'n' Seek, 1:23 to 2:05 is Here Comes Maple!.... The little bit after that is the original solo section, except the Overworld bit comes in during the solo section at 2:26. Then 2:48 to the end is Hide 'n' Seek with Pac-Man at 2:56

I wanted to join Ben's Zelda album because I thought the first one was cool. I hope this one does well too. :D

Edited by djpretzel

I would have never picked the Pac Man theme and any Zelda theme to fit together on a mix, so I was quite pleasantly surprised at this. I think the themes used and the arrangement on them is great overall. The only thing holding this back from a direct post is the occasional sloppiness on the timing, which has been a weakness of yours for a while now. Keep working on it, dude.

YES

Yeah, my biggest beef here is just that there's a lot of layers of plucked/strummed strings going on at once and sometimes they don't always line up perfectly. The recorder solo at the end that touches on the main Zelda theme is definitely the weakest performance of the song. The way you changed up a classic Zelda theme was really cool, but the performance just feels sloppy and doesn't stand out as much as it should, both from a mixing and performance standpoint.

That said, there's some solid source adaptation going on and this is a rather unique mix of instruments that we don't hear very often. The little choir background writing is really interesting, I wouldn't have guessed that that particular sample would work, but it does. Pacman riffs also are a nice fit, surprisingly. Overall, solid arrangement and pushes this over the bar for me. It's not as comfortably over the bar as I'd like, but it's acceptable to me.

YES (borderline)

The recorder needs a bit more breath support behind it, but I felt the performance was emotive and well done the first time through. The second was a bit less confident sounding, and had a few minor pitch issues. Considering that's the main nitpick I could find, this is feeling pretty good to me overall. The inclusion of some other random themes is fine; they fit cleverly enough, and the transitions were solid.

Overall I'm feeling this one, understated and pretty classy.

Yes

• 3 weeks later...

nice adaptation and interpretation of the sources. I thought the sound was a bit sparse at times, those background ahh's especially are pretty damn weak, but most of the elements in this are gelling really well, and the arrangement is solid, with some cool cameos of other themes, especially that pacman bit, I love the way you integrated it into the main motif, that's awesome. nice work. :nicework:

YES