DragonAvenger

Name: Vince Camp

Alias: Synthony

Email: siliconsynthonyorchestra@gmail.com

User ID: 43804

Game(s): Pokémon Red Version, Pokémon Silver Version, Pokémon Sapphire Version

Remix Title: Of Men and Monsters

Source(s):

Pokémon R/G/B/Y - Team Rocket Hideout, Silph Co.

Pokémon G/S/C - Team Rocket Hideout, Unown Radio Tune

Pokémon R/S/E - Battle! Team Aqua/Magma!

Download from SoundCloud

I'd call this my first successful experiment with dubstep. After watching numerous tutorials, I finally found some great bass sounds and applied them to a medley concept I'd been mulling over.

The original concept was rather foggy. The music box intro arranged from the G/S/C Team Rocket Hideout theme and a bass drop leading into some form of the R/G/B/Y Team Rocket Hideout theme were all I had to start with. After that, it boiled down to experimentation. It occurred to me during production that dubstep may well be the only genre that the Unown radio tune from G/S/C could be adapted to without losing the original's creepy flavour, so I had to mix it in. I ended up adding the Team Aqua/Magma battle theme on a whim, when I felt the song needed a break from the snarling bass. I'm particularly pleased with how that section turned out, and the drop afterward (in which I threw in a twist on the dubstep 'meme', if you will, of preempting the drop with a vocal clip -- using Gastly's cry from the games.)

--------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2vfnfmKrPc - GSC Rocket

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxyLHxXq-fM - RB Silph

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koAnijvXHcs - RB Team Rocket

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx7PkZkO-Qk - Unknown

- Aqua/Magma

There's a lot of cool things going on in this mix; right from the start I'm intrigued by the music box intro and the mysterious vibe it gives off. At the same time though, I think some subtle atmospherics would really push that section over the edge.

Once the dubstep bass comes in, there's some odd things going on with the mixing overall that I'm not quite feeling. Your dubstep bass sound is pretty cool and unique, but it feels strangely lo-fi, too, and lacking in any actual bass frequencies. Hearing a wobble bass and then a traditional bassline playing at the same time is a rather odd choice that I wasn't too fond of, it ends up coming off as distracting to me. I could live with the choice though, if both of the sounds were EQ'd a bit more strongly and had a more intense feel.

Your drum writing is fine, but the sounds really don't have much power to them, either. It's the same issue as your bass; the kit you're using has a cheap, tinny quality that's not doing justice to the great writing that you've created.

Onto the arrangement and source usage, I'm definitely hearing enough of it, but this mix has a unique issue in that some of your melody lines are chopped up and mangled so much that I'm not sure if they really even count anymore, such as the Silph Co. section :???: It boils down to a bit of a judgement call, but in your resub if you choose to do one, I'd like to hear those sources a little bit more prominently without completely losing their glitchy character.

There's a lot of issues with the track but I don't think it'd be beyond you to fix them up. With the proper level of production polish I bet there's a lot of people out there who would enjoy this kind of arrangement, but it's still lacking polish in a lot of ways. Good luck though!

NO (resubmit)

Thank you Emu for writing out what I couldn't really put my finger on before. The dubstep is oddly missing the serious WUBS, and it's a strange sound choice. I don't know if it was totally intentional, but I don't think it's working as it should. Adding more of the bass frequencies would be a good idea, in my opinion. I will also echo Wes on the drums lacking the bite they need as well. I think the arrangement is pretty good, and I really liked your opening.

Needs some fix ups, but you're on a good track here.

NO (resubmit)