OceansAndrew

original verdict:

http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36505

Your ReMixer name: Hakstock

Your real name: Ivan Hakštok

Your userid: 43292

Name of game(s) arranged: Chrono Cross, Radical Dreamers: Nusumenai Hoseki

Name of arrangement: Cruisin'

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Voyage: Home World, Ending ~ Le Tresor Interdit

Link to the original soundtrack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZuBYlCV2j0,

Your own comments about the mix: Maybe I'm a little fast with the resubmission, but after the judges rejected the first version of this, I immediately started working hard on a new version. Main issue was production but I think I overcame that with some better synths and a sense of space (didn't pay much attention to balance last time). Also added small variations in the arrangement, for the better I hope. Have fun while listening to it, as much as I had while making it ;)

Not really feeling the opening melodic stucatto line, but when it comes in with radical dreamers bit, it fits well and provides nice contrast. There are some cool bass fills, but I definitely would not have turned down additional ones, and some low/mid pads being a bit more hifi would have been nice.

Productionwise, it feels a bit empty in sections, and the drums don't really sound that great to me either, and feel a bit flat.

The arrangement and ideas presented are excellent, however. The call and responses are great, as are the mixing of themes. The drums are a bit static, but have a few changups, and some decent fills.

Overall I feel this is closer, but still not quite there. I really think this has the potential to make it though, so if you'd like to hit me up via PM, I can walk you through what needs to happen in more detail, should you choose to resubmit this again. :-)

No, please resubmit

Definitely closer. Arrangement-wise I'm liking the way you are presenting the sources. Production is what's holding you back on this. I felt like Andrew really covered all the basic points, but I'd like to add that there can be a little more done with the balance overall. The accordion felt pretty loud compared to the other instruments, and I felt like some areas were drowning things out, where others felt somewhat sparse.

Hope you keep at it.

NO(resubmit)

I'm definitely in agreement with OA that the first melody line you bring in isn't really working for me, either. It feels slightly detuned and just too rigid for me. The rigidity is present in a lot of the remix, to the point where everything feels like it's quantized exactly to the beat, so your melody lines feel static and unexpressive. See what you can do to tweak your leads to feel a little bit more humanized and varied in terms of rhythm and performance.

The same advice applies to your bass and drums, which also suffer from very robotic timing. The bassline gets really muddy and indistinct at points like 2:04, I don't think the sample you're using is cut out for that kind of writing :\ Overall, there need to be more dynamics in the velocities and timing for your instruments across the board, an overhaul on that front would definitely make this sound a lot more expressive.

OA's really good with this style of music so you should definitely get in touch with him and see what he can do to help, since the way you've fused the themes here is really inspired and works well with the saccharine synthpop soundscape you're working with. I think with a lot of polishing and attention to detail, you could get this up to the bar, so do what you've gotta to make it happen :-)

NO (resubmit)