*NO* Donkey Kong Country 2 'Funky Forest'

OceansAndrew

Contact Information

Alias: Omega Hauzer

Name: Nathan Dandy

E-Mail:

Website: http://www.facebook.com/OHWKY (If this is acceptable.)

UID: 37580

Song Information

Game: Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

Name of arrangement: Funky Forest

Original song: Forest Interlude

Comments

Greatest song in any video game. 2:31 is evidently the pro time, which I am glad for as it was improvisation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0Mp8uMammw

I really like your opening, it really works to break up the opening riff and give it a new flavor. The transition to crunchier bass is pretty cool as well, although I think you start to overuse that synth. The bass wobbling back and forth between headphones is pretty dizzying, gotta admit. I'd consider using the panning idea for a different instrument and especially use it less often.

There's a decent amount of personality going on to the source, although I feel like the ideas you use get worn out and dragged on for too long. I'd like to hear more variation going on overall. The same can apply to the drum loops, which are pretty static throughout the mix.

The last issue is your improv. section. It's cool, but also way too long away from the source for OCR. It would be cool if you could re-incorporate the source back in later into the section, or maybe cut down the improv to head back to the melody.

You've got a start here, but it needs a lot of work.

NO

Yeah, your introduction riff is really promising, it's got a lot of attitude and personality to it :-) However, the transition between that intro and the rest of the song was pretty rough and didn't flow, I think it would suit you to gradually build off of that introductory riff instead of just dropping all of your momentum and starting new when the lead melody comes in.

Overall, your arrangement is lacking in structure; it feels a lot more like a bunch of semi-linked patterns and sections arranged in a fairly random order. I think that integrating some of the other parts of the source that you didn't really use in your remix to create more distinct breakdowns/buildups/solo sections would give this a lot more direction.

On top of that, I don't feel like your supporting writing really quite captures the same level of funkiness as the primary riff that this all seems to be based around. I think you should take another look at this and see if you can't come up with more creative, personalized takes on the melodies and drums that work more in sync with the main hook. You've got a good base for your track, and I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but the rest of it feels like it's just cut and pasted from the original song, more or less, and it's not grabbing my attention :\

I think the funky bassline is so good that it alone warrants coming back to this track, but I think it would need a bit of an overhaul to craft a more focused, directed arrangement and make the rest of your melodies more personalized and unique. I would definitely like to see this again, though!

NO (resubmit)