OCR02474 - *YES* Nier & Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Ancient Dreams'

DragonAvenger

Contact Information

Your ReMixer name: Dj Mystix, Sabrina Valenzuela

Your real name Mansoor Nazar, Sabrina Valenzuela

Your userid 11757 (DjMystix), 47061 (SabrinaValenzuela)

Submission Information:

Name of game(s) arranged: Nier, Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time

Name of arrangement: Ancient Dreams

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Nier - Song of the Ancients, Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time - Gerudo Valley

Composer(s) : Nier - Keiichi Okabe, Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time - Koji Kondo

System :

Nier - Playstation 3, Xbox360, Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time - N64

Original Sources:

Nier - Song of the Ancients:

OoT - Gerudo Valley:

OCR Workshop link:

http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36684

Comments (Dj Mystix):

This is my first ever track featuring vocals. "Song of the Ancients" cannot be remixed without those beautiful vocals. Sabrina has provided her amazing voice for this track. Since it is Sabi's first submission to OCR, I didn't want to take any risks and chose a style I'm most comfortable with (Chillout). The track has been converted to 4/4 and "Gerudo Valley" blends in between vocal breaks. The intro and ending is original writing because the source didn't have any of those (and I hate fade-out endings). As for the structure of the song, I have tried to experiment a bit (it was necessary because I wanted to fit in most of Gerudo Valley in it). We hope you enjoy the song :D

Comments (Sabrina):

It was a great experience working with Dj Mystix on this track. I love the dreamy and atmospheric vibe he created with this arrangement. Recording the vocals for this track, was an enjoyable and welcome challenge due to the invented language and alternative pronunciation. We both very much hope that you all enjoy listening and thank you for your time.

Lyrics:

Ku ata suno ho valai

Chju riji furahel lekai

Kontevai unvuvat tundro nuai

Shutertei chiki piahdo

Chimata e verih purei

Betchona soweti yanei

Shijakoh alehkni fatalingya

Meknisa ulvoleh silei

Putrashain afurel je kurozo wo

Towa e kodohsai ni kodohsai sufralai

Towa e kodohsai e kodohsai sufralai keishjah

Pullilyah quschershischia schuqkaijha wo

Yamefet sumekri fet sumekri ling gangnu

Tueri manjahut tearapkhu

Hanijaha darshei lahadarshei shinjulo

Ku ata suno ho valai

Chju riji furahel lekai

Ku ata suno ho valai

Kontevai unvuvat tundro nuai

Shutertei chiki piahdo

Talk about a slow-burner! This track starts off very humbly with some very subtle instrumentation that sets the mood nicely, and when the vocals come in for the first time there's not much else going on, so you can really focus on the vocalist. The accompaniment gradually builds up in a very subtle-yet-dramatic fashion.

The Gerudo Valley interludes throughout the track offer a really great contrast to the vocal sections and allow for more adventurous melodies to take the stage briefly, I'm actually surprised at how well those work. The vocals are beautiful in their own right and carry the track most of the way, but having some instrumental sections is a very smart choice, IMO.

I can see how some might view this as too minimal on the instrumentation, but what I see here is a very deliberate, dramatic mix that plays well off of contrast and dynamics to really accentuate the great vocal performance.

Arrangement-wise, the vocals are pretty much the same as the ones in the source, which is a bit of a gift and a curse. On the one hand, I'm impressed with how well Sabrina was able to hold up against the professional vocalist on the source, her voice sounds really great here and the mixing is spot-on. However, it does push your remix dangerously into conservative territory.

At the end of the day, the stripped-down approach works for me and the inclusion of the more personalized Gerudo Valley tracks pushes this over the edge, though I would have felt a LOT more comfortable passing it if there was more arrangement on the Nier sections. I still really enjoyed the remix and think this is definitely one you should be proud of, regardless of how the vote goes, but you've got my vote!

YES (borderline)

I think Wes nailed this vote. The vocals area great, and really stand up to the originals well. I wish they'd been a little less conservative (as with the Nier sections in general), but I think the combination of the two themes does give it that edge to push it over the bar. I would have had just a little bit longer to the ending, as well, for a less sudden fade-out.

It's a close vote, but I'm still happy to give it a

YES

I think the vocals are a touch dry, but Overall I think the 2 themes work well together, even if they do a pretty defined hand-off of themes. Arrangement was understated, but generally effective, with some nice percussion and subtle bass fills, and the vocals were excellent. I think the bonus here is the the backing track does just enough o be interesting but stays out of the way of the vocals, and focuses on strengthening them.

I agree the ending is a bit abrupt, but otherwise a very very nice mix. :-)

Yes

• 1 month later...