OceansAndrew

Brandon Strader

www.bstrader.net

Game: Phantasy Star Universe

Source: Hakura Temple -

Composer: Masamicz Amano

Xbox360

Remix title: Hogosha

Hogosha was the 1st place entry in Dwelling of Duel's Phantasy Star month in September 2011. The listening party was on my birthday, and I finished the song the day before. I wanted to go for a more proggy sound rather than metal, so I used lower gain settings on the amp, and threw about 4 seconds worth of 7/8 during a transition early on -- mission accomplished. Most of the parts of this remix are based on parts from the source, hopefully they are recognizable enough, but also changed and made into my style. The mixing is upgraded on this version, and I really enjoy the song and listen to it a lot even now. My dad liked the chorus at 2:07 and he never used to be "too" into my music so I think it's worth mentioning, I am finally starting to make stuff he likes. The main verse with the cool bassline has recorder and a falsetto "ahh" sound courtesy of my mouf. The very beginning of the song is the end of it reversed. For the record my favorite part is from 3:08 until the end, especially the reversed/panned bass guitar that sounds trippy, which leads directly into a variated key progression of the main part (It was based on a key change in the song but I didn't get it quite right, works anyway, possibly bettar!).. It flows really nice from there until the end I think. More koto and shamisen, can't go wrong -- it's Hakura temple after all. I actually played this game almost to the end (ragequitted) but the Hakura Temple town and general area I remember being really beautiful and kinda oriental looking. Decent game, some sweeeet songs on the soundtrack! Sadly, no Argonians. Some freaky looking anime dudes though.

Very cool, a definite yes, and I will pick a couple nits. Some of the transitions feel a little lackluster, and I would have appreciated a bit more of a better lead in of them. The other small issue is the track feels a little long/repetitive, and could definitely be trimmed down a bit or changed up a little more.

YES

Something about the mixing on this sounds just a little bit off, like there's some sort of hole in the frequencies in some point. I'd like to hear a slightly more fleshed out soundscape for this, and it's actually a pretty conservative remix, but overall there's a lot of strong positive aspects that push this way over. The prog rock elements are well executed and give this track a dose of personalization, you've really grasped onto some of the most memorable moments from the source and made them more pronounced in your remix (the bassline sounds really awesome in this context, particularly) and your koto lines rock hard :-D Good song man, I'm definitely comfortable passing this.

YES

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...