Zero Wing - Legrous (2011 Remake)

Frankie-303

Hay,

I´m new here and I want to be an artist on ocremix.org.

I am am 79 born arcade gamer since my 4th birthday.

I think the music in video were much better in the 80s/90s because of the synths inside the hardware.

Here is one of my favorite arcade melodies ever: Zero Wing - Legrous (2011 Remake)

Please listen to: http://soundcloud.com/user806776/zero-wing-legrous-2011-remake

I'm going to be ultra-honest with you because I love the Zero Wing music.

This is poop.

Workshop is definitely the place to hang around if you want to eventually be an OC Remixer. To be brief, your sounds are very basic and sound retro as a result. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it can be for OCR. The drums are very underwhelming and are not varied much at all. I can't hear too much to them other than the kick and snare, the hats are ridiculously quiet. And to top it all off, this is pretty much a straight cover. You need to personalize the song a bit more for OCR. You do this by writing some original parts, maybe a solo here and there, and mingle original bits with bits from the source. The guitar rhythm is pretty cool, but it should be doubled and hardpanned to each side. I think a lot of work needs done with this before you could consider subbing it to OCR, but keep at it!

I'm not familiar with the source but I checked it out and although this is basically a cover, this is okay. The production is average and such BUT with some personal touches you could work this into something good. You say yourself its a remake, so its what I kind of expected. If you are wanting to be an artist on OCR check out some of the posted mixes and see how they differ to the originals. If you can, try and make this track your own by adding your own solo or something. If you feel this track done and dusted (which I'm assuming you are) start a new track and have an experiment. Post it here as a WIP and you can get some feedback on the arrangment aspects. There's always someone willing to lend a hand :)

And yeah, thats a killer tune, good choice :D I'm gonna have to check this game out

I'm a fan of the zero wing soundtrack as well and one thing I can say is that for subtitling the mix as "2011 remake" this sounds far too retro.

As far as the remixing part of things go one thing to try would be to reinterpret the source in a different style of music. Pick something that interests you and listen to a bunch of songs/pieces in that genre then give this mix another shot.

If you are proficient at an instrument of some sort, play the source on that then get creative with it. Take it far enough out of it's original style/rhythm/mode so that the source becomes unrecognizable then work your way back in. Too close to the source is practically a midi rip, too far away and no one recognizes it.

My first serious remix was based on Zero Wing's Natols. While I have long since lost interest in it mostly due to the general crapiness of Ministry of Rock here is what I went for. http://tindeck.com/listen/kvwb

Awful wasn't it?

Now, if you want perfect examples of what you need to do go through all of the music on this site (especially post 2009 when the standards made a huge jump imo) and compare them to the original sources via youtube.

Good luck.