The Humble Indie Bundle #4

ZealPath

Nice find with the 3DS soundtrack, I'm pretty content to just listen to the files for now since I'd never heard it before but getting it to work on the Steam version might be fun, not that I have any huge problem with the Nicalis version.

Maybe it's just me, then. I feel like a lot of the tracks were 'happy-ified' or dampened. Gravity, for example, went from setting a beat for a boss-fight to a kind of meandering 'tense moment' theme that really doesn't suit boss battles like it was meant to. Oppression bounces around as an almost casual track, nowhere near serious enough for the intense battle that's set up at that point. A couple tracks do stick out as still being really good (See Jenka 2, Last Battle), but the tracks just doesn't mesh anywhere near as well as the originals.

Listening to DannyB's, the arrangements and instrumentation fit really well, but the mastering feels really, REALLY off. Not sure if that was due to DS limitations or something, but it's almost more frustrating than Nicalis' because you can hear what it's trying to be, but falls short.

I feel like a lot of the tracks were 'happy-ified' or dampened. Gravity, for example, went from setting a beat for a boss-fight to a kind of meandering 'tense moment' theme that really doesn't suit boss battles like it was meant to. Oppression bounces around as an almost casual track, nowhere near serious enough for the intense battle that's set up at that point

I would totally agree with you on those 2 boss themes you mentioned being somewhat diminished on the Nicalis version, there are also a few tracks like "Living Waterway" and "Scorching Back" that I feel Nicalis really did a great job on, so it kinda goes both ways, for me anyway.

I think I'd be hard pressed to choose anything other than the original tracks as my biggest preference, but I do get a lot of enjoyment out of most of the remade tracks as well. I think with Cave Story+ we kind of have that "Super Mario All Stars" vibe where both the graphics and music have been redone and it's fun to see what they came up with, but at the end of the day the greatest charm is probably still just with the original game, if that makes sense.

They added games from #3 now, if you've already got this whether you were above or below the minimum, it is yours. If not, it's included in the new above the minimums. I'm trying to figure out if I can get them on steam now...

Ah I figured it out now, just ask for your steam code again and it has a new category...geez this set is kind of big. My steam value is rocketing for no reason >.>;