Dark Cloud 2 - Lunatic Wisdom Lab

Caesura

Hey people of OC, I just started a remix of the Lunatic Wisdom Lab song from Dark Cloud 2 (or Dark Chronicle).

This is my first attempt at arranging game music and I'd really like some feedback on what I have so far.

So I thought i'd try a sort of funk version of the theme, added a walking bass and made it more upbeat. Theres a part where theres only a bassline and drums, i plan to record a solo in there.

Its only about maybe one third into the song, i would really just like to know if im heading in the right direction with this.

Dont be afraid to tell me its shit, I know it is at the moment but i need all the help I can get to improve

Heres the Original

And heres mine http://tindeck.com/listen/wyvk

Thanks

Intro is really cute.

Right off the bat though, your mix feels muddy and clattered. I think you really need to just EQ and separate all the elements of your song in a way that when they play together, they aren't clashing. Check out what freq ranges each instrument is taking up. EQ away unnecessary frequencies by determining which ones make your instruments sound best/stick out, and which ones don't really affect the sound you are going for, and remove those. This would give other instruments more room so they don't clash as much when they are playing together.

The writing is cute, I like that crazy synth solo later too! The bass is neat, even though it might need some EQ itself. Some other things just are hard to tell as is especially in the more full sections, because of the competition of range between instruments.

Keep working on this!

First off, you win just for mixing Dark Cloud 2.

But I must agree with Mono; the mix is very muddy. The synths are nice and playful but they need more going on behind them, otherwise they'll feel overbearing and exposed.

Also after the first few seconds the percussion started to feel really intrusive, like it was holding the song back rather than moving it forward. I think part of this was because the snare was so overpowering.

This is a solid start overall. Tinker with it a bit and keep it on this forum; give some more seasoned remixers time to give you more specific feedback.

Now how about mixing a Dark Cloud 3 song? Oh wait...:banghead:

Hey guys I've worked on the song a bit more, tried to play around with the EQ like you guys suggested. I think its a bit less muddy but still needs more work. Anyway I finished the solo section and really wanted some feedback on that.

Also did a section where I had a shot at chopping up the melody.

I think i'd like some advice on the form of the song, im not sure its going in a way the keeps the listener engaged...

Heres the link to the updated version

http://tindeck.com/listen/dqoz

It sounds much clearer now, so good work on that. I loved the softer end piece; perhaps you could expand it a bit.

As for the rest of the song it just needs more variation. Play around with the melody some, change up some notes, add some counter-melody where you can. The song has a long way to go but you have a very solid foundation. Keep adding updates and you'll eventually get some very broken-down feedback from other experienced mixers like Mono (paging Gario, Rozo, anyone), so don't give up.

Thanks for all your help guys!

I'm kinda of at a dead end at the moment and I really need some help on finishing off the song. I put this slow piano bit in and I really like it, but I dont know how to bring the slow section back into the main section. I tried bringing the song into a breakbeat but I think it sounds retarded :(

As soon as a figure this bit out, i'm sure I can finish the song in the near future and concentrate on polishing and tweaking.

Heres the update

http://tindeck.com/listen/iveh