*NO* Super Metroid 'Coolin' Down the Red Soil Swamp' *RESUB*

DragonAvenger

Original Decision

I'd like to resubmit a song, please. Thank you for your time!

Original Thread: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26651&highlight=coolin%27

Contact Information

Your ReMixer name: Motol DM

Your real name: Bill Brown

Your email address: wabdesign@gmail.com

Your website: Soundclick.com/motoldm

Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile: 24810

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Super Metroid

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Brinstar Red Soil Swampy Area

-----------------

This is a tough vote, cause there's a lot of merit to your track, particularly in the arrangement, which dances around the Brinstar theme with a lot of tact and creativity while still keeping the source apparent almost all of the time. Despite all the points I'm about to run through, I enjoyed listening to this.

However, there's a few issues I'm catching here that I think are worth noting. Across the board it sounds like you're using pretty much stock samples, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but in this case a lot of your percussion sounds just come off as amateurish. The clap in particular is very cheesy and kind of kills the mood for me, since your drum loops are too simple to really disguise any weaknesses in your samples, and at times like 4:26 when your clap is most exposed it's particularly bad. I don't mean to rag on an element of your track that's clearly not the main focus of your track, but between the overly-simple writing and generic samples, it's dragging this down for me.

On the topic of samples, your piano is not the best either, though you've processed it reasonably well. Sometimes the delay that you've used on it gets out of hand, and the same goes for your electric piano and other elements throughout the song. I think the liberal use of delay gives this remix a pretty unique character, but at times like 3:56 or 4:36, things just get too busy when you combine the delay from multiple melody lines with the rest of your track.

At 3:19/4:44, I'm hearing some noticeable distortion on your piano, that's really distracting :-(

Overall, this is a pretty cool track and I definitely think it's worth making a resub. It might require a sizeable amount of work to make these changes, but I think the track would be better off for it so that these production issues aren't detracting from your strong concept/melody writing.

NO (resubmit!)

• 5 weeks later...

that piano is definitely mixed way too far forward, couple with the delays it just dominates the soundscape whenever its playing, and like Emu pointed out there is some distortion at times. the rest of the elements were mixed better, but all the long, pulsing reverbs and delays weren't doing the soundscape any favors. heh, 2:24 just struck a total tears for fears vibe with me, love it. anyway, also as mentioned, a lot of your synth and percussion sounds are default/vanilla sounding.

hopefully this isn't coming off as too negative, because I also enjoyed this mix (wasn't familar with the original sub, but it's definitely nice to see people revisiting stuff after a few years ;)), and the arrangement was a fresh take on the oft-mixed Brinstar, but unfortunately this one still needs some work on the mixing end of things.

NO(resub)

Yeah, definitely digging the arrangement here. Cool modulations and ideas on a prominently known and remixed source.

But I'm also feeling the same crits as the others. Most of the samples & synths are pretty stock/vanilla sounding. The lead at 2:23 is a good example of something that really feels too weak to carry the melody of a track. I'd either replace it with something else or try some effects/eq to get it to cut through a bit better and provide a little more interest. Agreed with Emu that the drum loop (especially clap) stuck out as out of place and amateurish to me. I'd work with the pattern more to get it more interesting and look at some different samples if you can.

Also, there's delay on pretty much everything except the drums (even the bass). I'd recommend a little more restraint on how you use it as, while it can provide a cool washed out effect (and does at times in this mix), it can also make everything get noisy and indisctinct really quickly like at 4:50.

Looking at the original decision, it looks like some of the same issues are present here as before. Not trying to be a downer on your mix, cause I really dig how you've approached the source and the wandering-type feeling you get listening to it, you just need to tighten up the production side to bring it up to the same level.

No, resubmit please