OCR02605 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time & Link's Awakening 'Fragments of a Legend'

OceansAndrew

Remixer Name - WillRock

Remix Name: Fragments of a Dream

Game: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time, Links Awakening

Sources: Song of Time, Zelda's Lullaby, Song of Storms, Lon Lon Ranch, House Theme (Link's Awakening)

You should know all these, but just in case you don't know LA house theme...

One day on facebook, I made a quick poll to see what franchise people would like to see me do a remix from, and my "facebook likes" all voted for me to do a legend of zelda remix. The legend of zelda is probably what i'm best known for remixing, particularly on youtube, already having done over 12 remixes from the legend of zelda franchise.

I've not been doing as many remixes for hyrules sword wielding hero of time as I used to (mega man took over), but I have now remedied this wrong. However, this remix isn't rock. Its not electronic. Its not chiptune. Hell, it's not even 80's. What it is, is a tribute to some of hyrules most beloved tunes in zelda fandom, and i've thrown a links awakening tune in for good measure, because that game has a special place in my gaming history.

I hope you all enjoy this remix, I sure did enjoy making it, altho Reaper made it tricky because Reaper, being the DAW of Death that it is, hates my guts and wants me to die a horrible and painful death :P

This is a very complicated Remix that ultilizes a total of five different sources, being Song of Time, Zelda's Lullaby, Links Awakening House Theme, Song of Storms, and Lon Lon Ranch.

This is a remix for the fans basically, a thank you for the support I've had over the years, particularly OCR, without which I wouldn't be half as good as I am right now.

With all that manliness aside, on to the remix!

Enjoy folks!

Because of the complex nature of the arrangement, I have done a rough breakdown (don't put this in the writeup, for judges use only).

There are moments where certain sources aren't as prominent as others but the timings themselves should be accurate enough for general source timewise.

0:06-0:17 - Song of Time

0:17-0:49 - Zelda's Lullaby

0:50-1:04 - Song of Time

1:04-1:44 - Links Awakening House Theme (Backing Harp) Song of Storms (Lead Piano)

1:44-1:51 - LA House Theme, Song of Storms, Zeldas Lullaby (Violin)

1:51-1:59 - LA House Theme, Song of Storms, Lon Lon Ranch (Violin)

2:00-2:25 - LA House Theme, Song of Storms

2:26-2:50 - Zelda's Lullaby (Violin) Song of Storms (Piano)

Total Source Usage (Rough) 138 seconds (2 minutes 18 seconds)

I'm not gonna beat around the bush here, this judgment basically boils down to whether or not the unrealistic sequencing/instruments (which I've discussed at great length with Will during the development and he knows my feelings on it, even if we disagree in the end :tomatoface: ) is enough to counteract a friggin STELLAR arrangement. The violin in particular is the most noticeable offender, when it makes those fast glissandos (?) in the last section, but at the same time you can tell that Will's put a lot of time into tweaking his articulations so they at least sound pleasant to the ears, even if anyone could tell it's not a real violin. Piano sounds a little sour when it hits the highest notes at high velocities, nothing much to worry about though.

Production is pretty great, you've got a warm, deep orchestral soundscape that's well-accented by atmospheric elements like choirs and cellos that help bring out the beauty of your writing. No complaints here :-)

Arrangement is where this really shines for me. I can see how some might cry medley-itis here, but personally I think the clever melding of multiple sources into the one section works wonders. The way you take versatile chord progressions and modify various memorable Zelda tunes to fit them is indicative of some great writing ability on your part, Will :-) Very solid stuff here, I don't have any issues at all.

So yeah, the sequencing is an issue unfortunately and it's not one I can just ignore. There's so much strength in every other aspect of this track though that I think it's good enough to pass as-is, and the positives outweigh the only really noticeable weakness. Good luck with the vote Will, I'd really like to see this on the front page some day :-)

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Emu lays down a solid vote, and makes things easy for me here. I was tempted at first to call this more of a medley due to how things start out, but Will brings back all the themes and develops on them, so I was able to drop that quickly enough. I'll agree that the instruments aren't totally realistic, and 'dem glissandos need work (:P). Aside and despite the not totally real sounds, everything was sequenced with care and it really shows. Nice work.

YES

• 3 weeks later...

no sampled orchestra is going to sound perfect but for what it's worth I thought Will pulled it off pretty damn well. certainly nothing cringe-worthy; Emu, I think you may have over-thunk this one a bit. :P the arrangement, as stated, is most excellent, DP-worthy imo. another sophisticated, out-of-left-field mix by Will. :)

YES

• 1 month later...

I'm not gonna beat around the bush here, this judgment basically boils down to whether or not the unrealistic sequencing/instruments (which I've discussed at great length with Will during the development and he knows my feelings on it, even if we disagree in the end ) is enough to counteract a friggin STELLAR arrangement. The violin in particular is the most noticeable offender, when it makes those fast glissandos (?) in the last section, but at the same time you can tell that Will's put a lot of time into tweaking his articulations so they at least sound pleasant to the ears, even if anyone could tell it's not a real violin. Piano sounds a little sour when it hits the highest notes at high velocities, nothing much to worry about though.

Production is pretty great, you've got a warm, deep orchestral soundscape that's well-accented by atmospheric elements like choirs and cellos that help bring out the beauty of your writing. No complaints here

Arrangement is where this really shines for me. I can see how some might cry medley-itis here, but personally I think the clever melding of multiple sources into the one section works wonders. The way you take versatile chord progressions and modify various memorable Zelda tunes to fit them is indicative of some great writing ability on your part, Will Very solid stuff here, I don't have any issues at all.

So yeah, the sequencing is an issue unfortunately and it's not one I can just ignore. There's so much strength in every other aspect of this track though that I think it's good enough to pass as-is, and the positives outweigh the only really noticeable weakness. Good luck with the vote Will, I'd really like to see this on the front page some day

YES

ps. i just copied Emu