*NO* Guilty Gear XX 'Be Jazz or Be Dead'

DragonAvenger

Remixer Name: IKRENEGADE

Game: Guilty Gear XX

Name of Arrangement: Be Jazz or Be Dead

Name of Song Arranged: Holy Orders: Be Just or Be Dead

Additional Info:

this was recorded live to 2 inch analog tape with some small overdubs, meaning that it largely maintains a "live" feel. There are some small performance issues but I think that the arrangement stands fairly well. Thanks to the players involved over at AZ Dustloop.

------------

• 2 months later...

Really cool idea to go for the jazzy genre for this. There's a lot of promise here, for sure.

That being said, there are some issues really holding this back. The most noticeable is that the overall performance feels a bit stiff, which is very strange when compared to the jazzy structure. My suggestion would be to slow down the tempo to allow you a little more room to breathe and make the performance feel more natural. I know that pretty much sucks, as you would have to redo most of it, though.

The soundscape feels a little dry as well, and could use a touch of reverb to add some effects to this. This might compensate for the overall soundscape being sparse, although for a jazz combo the instruments are fine.

I feel like there's something I'm missing here, but I can't place my finger on it yet, so I'll defer to the other judges to figure it out :P. Meanwhile, there's definitely some good stuff going on her, and some work you have to do. I hate to tell you to essentially rerecord stuff, but I think the end result would be worth the effort in doing so.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

The arrangement seems fine, but the performances are really sloppy, with timing issues all over, and no one feels tight. There are a few places where it clicks, but around every transition, things fall apart. I recommend unless the group is playing live at once, you play along with a click track to make sure everyone is on the same page.

This has promise, but i think some more rehearsal needs to go into it and it needs to be tightened up a good deal. I hope to hear a new version of this sometime! :-)

No

this is a tough one. gonna have to agree OA, these performances probably sound nice on their own, but as an ensemble, it's not too tight. the mixing and arrangement are fine, and as a whole I definitely enjoyed the song, regardless of the timing issues. curious to see what other judges would say, but I'm gonna go ahead and close this one out for the sake of getting this feedback to the remixer before his performers COMPLETELY forget how to play this song. :(

this is so close to a YES for me. I really hope we can hear another version sometime.

NO(resub)