OceansAndrew

Brandon Strader

www.bstrader.net

Games: Mega Man 9 / Mega Man 10

Sources: Splash Woman / Wily Stage 1

links:

/

Title: She's a Squirter

I made this for Round 1 of DarkeSword's Wily Gauntlet compo on OC ReMix. Contrary to popular belief, it wasn't my first electronica song, but it WAS the first one that is full-on electronic elements I think. The other ones have been hybrids with real instruments, like for FF1, FF2, and FF9 projects, halc collabs, etc... I was lucky in that the Splash Woman theme and Wily Stage 1 from MM10 went together really well, I combined their parts a lot in this song. I also used a lot of free VSTs like triforce, peach, toad, magical8bitplug, and a nice little gem called BTS Super Theremin, among others... The way I used it sounds somewhat less like a theremin, because there are a lot of customization options -- you can hear it at the awesome chorus at 1:47 where it is used as the lead. Highly recommended to you guys who use free chippy VSTs.

Apart from that, I'm still continuing the quest I started with DarkeSword's GRMRB to cover Splash Woman in many specific genres. So far I have done "Lady in the Water", "Excalibur", "She's a Squirter", "Liquid Metal", and I think I only have one more to do in a week or two. I decided to fix the ones that didn't pass OCR and compile all of them onto an EP called "The Wettening" which should be pretty cool. I don't know whether this would get posted before or after the EP is done (probably after) so the link to where the EP should appear is at http://brandonstrader.bandcamp.com/

Also I still think the moan coupled with the splash sound at 0:18 is gross but literally nobody noticed it until I pointed it out. That's why I'm pointing it out now. SHOCK VALUE! D:

2'29 - gratuitous dubstep breakdown solo section

The fade in and out with the heavy reverb automation on the master bus could be interpreted as submerging into water and then leaving the ocean, the sound getting more muffled and reverby as you get closer to the surface.

• 2 months later...

I'd say that overall this is my favorite of your Splash Women mixes. The intro is actually pretty sweet, at first I thought it was a car blasting the bass outside, which was a neat effect. The arrangement between the two sources is very fluid, and they work together quite well. Aside from that, there's a lot of detail and counter parts that keep things very interesting. The only part that's not doing it for me is the dubstepish area starting at 2:29. The balance between the instruments felt really off there, and I felt that it didn't really add anything to the mix. That being said, I don't find it to be a dealbreaker, so I'm still good to go on this.

YES

Any production issues on this are pretty much superficial, this is a pretty strong arrangement with some neat processing and writing despite the exclusive use of very basic chiptune synths. It gets pretty noisy at times, I think that's due to the drums being overcompressed, but at the end of the day this is pretty great. Could have fooled me into thinking this was old-school halc at times :-P

YES

ah yes. this is brandon, wanting to be more like me, at his finest. ;D

in all seriousness, this is a really varied and personalized arrangement, and the dubstep elements were tastefully executed. a few glibs with the production, as others mentioned, but nothing dealbreaking; nice work here.

YES