MM7/MM1 - Shade Man's Tower (ShadeMan's Stage/Wily Tower)

Cyril the Wolf

So. I'm still here. Ponies haven't completely eated me. And I survived school somehow, so here I am with something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT! You may take a listen and ask:

"Is Cyril attempting electronica/trance?"

WHY YES I AM! And that is why I need you're input becuase I am not the best at this genre. I know there may be somethings in here that you guys can point me in the right direction for becuase if there is anything else, I'm PLUM out of ideas.

So take a listen, offer suggestions, technical or otherwise please! Maybe I'll be a genre-riffic mangmang.

Shademan's Tower V1: http://www.mediafire.com/?8zcirqc4viq393o

Ooo, from the compo. Well, since I have the compo version on my comp, I'll listen to that one (if this one is different let me know).

I've got to comment on the Harpsichord, here. I understand that you like the dry soundscape, but that particular instrument needs to resonate. Not because it would sound better, but because the Harpsichord has no dampening system so it sounds incredibly odd to hear the notes die instantly. This is less 'reverb' and more 'add release to the sample'.

Sounds like we're going for a 'BOOM-bada-BOOM-bada' sort of bass/drum combo (I like onomatopoeia descriptors). If you're going to go for this route, please give the bass more bass. Sounds like the bassline only covers the lower mids, when it could (and needs to) be covering a much deeper range. Give that bass some volume, and when the bass starts going over the bassline give it a little (or a lot, pending on the style) of sidechaining to compensate.

The chords are a bit lacking. The pads only cover single notes in the chords, which make the track sound hollow. I really like the synth at 1:07, though, so keep him as he is. Give the other pads some more notes to play.

Much like in metal, you want to have the drums do interesting things. If you want to keep the untz going, that's fine, but have fun with the hats, possibly the snare, put in some fills, etc.. While it's not an issue now (due to the relatively quiet soundscape) you'll want to look into making the snare more pronounced, especially when it comes to the high EQ on it. I suspect that's a sample issue, though - look for some more full snare samples to use.

It sounds like you had fun making the Wily theme into a Shademan-like style, and I notice some very nice subtleties to the arrangement. I hope some of this critiquing is enough to get started working through the track.

Ooo, from the compo. Well, since I have the compo version on my comp, I'll listen to that one (if this one is different let me know).

I've got to comment on the Harpsichord, here. I understand that you like the dry soundscape, but that particular instrument needs to resonate. Not because it would sound better, but because the Harpsichord has no dampening system so it sounds incredibly odd to hear the notes die instantly. This is less 'reverb' and more 'add release to the sample'.

Sounds like we're going for a 'BOOM-bada-BOOM-bada' sort of bass/drum combo (I like onomatopoeia descriptors). If you're going to go for this route, please give the bass more bass. Sounds like the bassline only covers the lower mids, when it could (and needs to) be covering a much deeper range. Give that bass some volume, and when the bass starts going over the bassline give it a little (or a lot, pending on the style) of sidechaining to compensate.

The chords are a bit lacking. The pads only cover single notes in the chords, which make the track sound hollow. I really like the synth at 1:07, though, so keep him as he is. Give the other pads some more notes to play.

Much like in metal, you want to have the drums do interesting things. If you want to keep the untz going, that's fine, but have fun with the hats, possibly the snare, put in some fills, etc.. While it's not an issue now (due to the relatively quiet soundscape) you'll want to look into making the snare more pronounced, especially when it comes to the high EQ on it. I suspect that's a sample issue, though - look for some more full snare samples to use.

It sounds like you had fun making the Wily theme into a Shademan-like style, and I notice some very nice subtleties to the arrangement. I hope some of this critiquing is enough to get started working through the track.

This one is different. The file name is even different. acutally... I even fixed a lot of those issues. PLZ RELISTEN KTHX. :D Also I will layer the snare I Guess. Simple. I have more snare samples

Alright, sorry about that - relistening to it now.

Drums are a little more varied, some of the instrument choices are better (more of that cool synth I likes so much, there's a new sine that fits really well, too). The harpsichord is better in this version, too (though a bit more release would still be ideal). I noticed some spots where the chords fill out, which was nice.

I think most of my crits still hold though. Drums are a little more interesting, but they could be more interesting still. The bass (not drum - I'm assuming the thin bass drum is intentional to the style, for right now) still needs some more strength. I hear improvement in the chordal portions in some of the song, but I'd like to hear more of that.

It's better, but there's still more to go. Good luck, mang.

Its pretty good arrangement wise, I like the mash-up between the two sources. Don't know if this is intentional, but the track just stops right before the end in quicktime.

For me the main problem is the choice and quality of some of the instruments. While a lot of the synths and the harpiscord IMO are fine, many of the drum samples are pretty meh. The cymbols sound competely automated. The "bass" drum sounds like it's being played from a cheap speaker. Gario hit the nail on the coffin (get it?) with his critique.

If your trying out for a trance style, speak with some of the trance-based members such as bLiNd for some help. For more electronica, speak with half of all posted remixers.