DragonAvenger

ReMixer Name: LightUmbreon

Email: anathema138@hotmail.co.uk

UserID: 31617

Name of game arranged: Sonic CD [JP/EU version]

Name of arrangement: Sunset on the Speedway

Name of individual song arranged: Stardust Speedway Good Future

Link to the original soundtrack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVSsP9O9Q8Q

Comments: I have always been a fan of the Japanese/European soundtrack to this game, not only due to my own interest in techno but simply because it evokes a very 90's nostalgia within me! I made this arrangement from scratch in FL Studio 9, paying attention to particular details such as the warm Rhodes style piano to keep the nostalgic feel that this song provides.

• 3 weeks later...

what a pleasant surprise. sonic CD (both versions) always needs more love. in terms of production, this is pretty smooth and funky, but it feels like your pushing the master/compression pretty hard. it's not causing any terrible pumping or distortion, but it definitely feels pretty smushed at relatively modest volumes. arrangement is pretty conservative (style and sound-wise), but there's a ton of personality in the melodies and keyboard parts that pushed this one over the line for me. drums were on auto-pilot, but it didn't kill the mix by any means.

the compression is problematic to me personally, and for that I may change my vote to a conditional, but I'd like to see what a few other judges think.

YES(borderline)

• 2 months later...

I think Drew is being pretty lenient on the compression issue, because I think it is way overdone. The arrangement is conservative but has some nice flashes of personalization. I also agree that the drums could use some changeups more frequently.

Definitely need to tone down the compression, but also the arrangement could use some extra spice.

No, please resubmit

I'm on OA's side of things unfortunately. I think on a busier arrangement it might be less noticeable, but because of the more laid-back feel you have it's sticking out more.

I'd also echo that the drums feel very static, and could use some change-ups to add more interest. I'd also like some more change-ups in the soundscape itself, as I found my ears getting tired of the same instruments going for most of the piece. More variety would really help bring the listener back in.

Pretty fun track so far, but I think it needs a bit of a push to get over the bar. Keep at it!

NO (resubmit)