*NO* Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Blue Rescue Team 'Farewell Does Not Mean Goodbye'

DragonAvenger

Remixer Names: TheGuitahHeroe, Tuberz McGee

Real Names: Jamison Randall, Callum Kennedy

User ID: 31907, 44165

Game Arranged: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red and Blue Rescue Team

Name of Arrangement: Farewell Does Not Mean Goodbye

Songs Arranged: Farewell

Additional Info about Game (For Database): For Nintendo DS and Gameboy Advanced. Red being GBA and Blue being DS.

The composers were Arata Iiyoshi and Atsuhiro Ishizuna.

Link to Original Source:

Comments on the Mix:

TheGuitahHeroe:

"First of all I’d like to thank Callum for being so fricken’ fantastic. The guitar performances, absolutely beautiful, REALLY make the mix what it is. Without him, this mix wouldn’t have happened at all. : D

I’m REALLY glad I was able to take part in this, because of what this song means to Callum; and because it’s easily one of the most memorably emotional and fantastic pieces of Video game music I’ve heard. Overall, I consider it one of the greatest creations, if not THE greatest creation, that I’ve ever been involved with. : )

Hope you guys dig : D

Tuberz McGee:

I originally approached Jamison about doing this mix after being a fan of his work for a LONG time. I love it!

When we agreed on this source tune, I immediately felt connected on a personal level.

I am 17 and have lived in New Zealand or most of my life (bar when I was a baby). I have a good group of friends that I can trust completely.

My parents decided not too long ago that we would move to Australia in 2012. This is my last year of High School. I'm leaving behind my friends and my comfort of "home".

My best friend Daniel and I often played these games together. We enjoyed those games a lot.

At the very end of the story in the first one, the main character and his partner are forced to say farewell. I felt this was very akin to my situation.

So instead of getting all mushy with him... I've dedicated this mix to him. Because he's the partner that I must say farewell to.

But Farewell Does Not Mean Goodbye.

• 5 weeks later...

nice soundscape going on here, though the bass dominated just a bit. the performance wasn't entirely consistent so there are some points where it is okay and others where I feel it is too loud. overall though, solid playing, sounds, and mixing. the arrangement however feels dragged out to me. it's a nice direction to take a very pretty source no doubt, but the lack of sonic variation made it feel repetitive, and I felt some percussion or something of the sort really would have given the track some momentum/backbone. lots of potential here, but this still feels a bit underdeveloped, imo.

NO(resub)

The backstory behind this was pretty touching, and after listening to the original I feel like you picked a great source to help convey what you were going for. Absolutely beautiful, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon material never fails to surprise me.

Overall, when I first listened to this, I remember being somewhat put-off by weaknesses with the performance/timing, though on this listen I don't feel like it's as noticeable as I remember it being. It's not the most solid performance I've heard but it's passable as far as I'm concerned, and it conveys the emotion of the song pretty well.

I'll echo Drew by saying that the arrangement is the problematic part of this equation. As it stands, your arrangement is pretty long without a great deal of development in the soundscape over that time. Jamison's synthetic additions are very welcome and help give a more full-bodied, ethereal quality to your guitar performance, and those little moments where a new instrument comes in helps to give this some textural variety, but at the core this remix remains roughly the same through its 5:20 runtime.

There's two ways you could fix this issue, I think. I understand that you guys were probably going for a more minimalist approach with the instrumentation, and to your credit I think it works phenomenally. If you were to trim a minute or more off of the arrangement and shorten it up, the lack of dynamics in the soundscape likely wouldn't be as big of a deal. I can't speak for halc or anyone else, but personally if this was a shorter remix that cut out some of the extra repetition I think I'd be okay with passing this without any change to the instrumentation.

However, if you're okay with expanding things a little bit, there's so much you could do with the synths if the guitar took a backseat for a section or two. Undoubtedly this would require some modification to the arrangement, but if you were feeling ambitious, keeping the arrangement the same length but by expanding the presence of the synthetic instruments you could help bring some life to the texture of your song.

Either way, I think you've got a concept worth sticking with, for sure. Your source choice is absolutely fantastic and the remix itself is very endearing. If you could employ some way to make your soundscape more dynamic or shorten the arrangement overall, I'd be okay with passing this. I really hope to see this one again!

NO

• 1 month later...

This is easily my favorite source tune of the entire PMD soundtrack(s). I may have cried at this part in the game too. >.>

The idea behind this is simply fantastic, really loving what you're going for here, and I think it's got a lot of promise. That being said, I agree completely with what Drew and Wes have already said. Right now the the arrangement is suffering from being pretty repetitive, and it's further enhanced by the lack of soundscape change. I also agree with Wes that I'm OK with the instrumentation as-is if the arrangement were shorter, so you do have a couple of options going for you there. I'm also going to echo Wes about the timing issues; they are pretty minor, but they also would help if they were fixed up.

Hope you fix this one up, even if I did want to be the first one to have a mix of this on the site :P

NO (resubmit, please)