*NO* Conker's Bad Fur Day 'Squirrel Outta Hell (Extended Batty Mix)'

djpretzel

Hey guys.

Song Title: Squirrel Outta Hell

I guess this is round two. I took some of the technical advice given concerning my first submission and applied it to this song with pretty good results. (Thanx guys)

ReMix Info:

Name of game ReMixed: Conker's Bad Fur Day (Game not yet added to the Site)

ReMixed: 'Bats' (Also includes music from "Conker the King") Song Info: This is a orchestrated version of a great song found in "Conker's BFD". For those who are unfamiliar with the game, this song is used when Conker gets turned into a vampire bat and goes flying around 'pooping' (yes I said pooping) one the villiagers. This mix also has elements of the song 'Conker the King' (played at the beginning of the game) which is actually based on music written back in 1695 called 'Music for the Funeral of Queen Mary' by Henry Purcell.

Game Info: Conker's very good night turns into a very bad day. He has to deal with a crazy and abusive world, all while suffering through a massive hangover. Conker encounters abusive paint pots; jabbering dung beetles; trigger-happy, scar-faced Tediz; and a belligerent giant, with only a frying pan as a means of self-defense. He is resourceful, however, and makes the best of his situation.

I also attached a Pic from the game Box.

Contact Info:

ReMixer name: Random Hero

email address: cc971751@hotmail.com

Thanx

Random Hero aka Ryan

blastardJMR: Hey

z y k o monkey: sup

blastardJMR: Can you do me a favour? My brother's song is on "TO BE JUDGED" list on OCR, and we are wondering if the judging process could be put on hold for a short time.

z y k o monkey: why, whats the matter

z y k o monkey: which track is it

blastardJMR: The song (Conker 'Squirrel Outta Hell') has gone through several major fixups/additions since submission.

blastardJMR: My brother's wondering if you've heard it...

z y k o monkey: yes - random hero

blastardJMR: Yeah, that's him

================

there you have it, sirs

================

Let me know if I need to send this to anyone else.

Could you please send a confirmation email to cc971751@hotmail.com as soon as soon as possible?

Thanx,

RR aka RH

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.rareware.com/extra/downloads/bfd/bats.mp3 - "Batula's Theme"

http://www.rareware.com/extra/downloads/bfd/conker_the_king.mp3 - "Conker the King"

I disliked the drum flurry and the bell that intro the track, mainly because it sounds like no effort was made there to sound better than MIDI grade. The woodwinds at :06 were very mechanical sounding and the light vox/pad in the back was a non-factor. Still, fairly good intro. Again at :38 with the fade-in of the drums and the bell, those sounded very MIDI-grade. The sample quality was fairly weak; the light hats and cymbal activity starting at 1:29 felt out of place, and whatever woodwind came in from 1:48-1:57 was VERY robotic and MIDI-quality. Overall though, the orchestration was still pretty decent, and the melody did sound nice.

Nonetheless, I had a huge problem here because the arrangement isn't creative at all. This first section sounded like only a SLIGHT sound upgrade to "Bats" and didn't change or expand the composition in any substantial way. I'm really tempted to NO Override, but I'd feel more comfortable letting Jesse, Dan, Shariq or Gray make that call on this particular mix if that was the case, plus there was a little bit going on in adding some new supporting instrumentation anyway. But already it's an easy NO.

Things carried on that way until 2:38 went for a sparser approach. Woodwind from 3:15-3:22 again was a low point. The xylo at 3:24 was a very nice idea...

Actually, I'm not gonna review this anymore. I'm not trying to sound pretentious, but all of the ideas here until 3:52 are basically lifted verbatim from the first 3:05 of Batula's Theme, and it's just kind of a waste if you're not gonna intrepret anything and even keep the genre the same.

I listened but didn't actively compare anything from 3:52-onward with the source material. If anyone wants to offer suggestions or praise for that stuff being somewhat interpretive of creative, that's fine, but I think the creativity should have been there from the get-go. The guidelines here encourage interpretation, Ryan.

Let me first complement you on putting this together. This is nicely composed and the various instrumentation, tempo changes and other compositional elements are nice.

But sadly there is very little personal interpretation here. A lot of sections follow the path of the original. The structure, pacing and instrumentation is very similar for a majority of sections from the original. It does indeed sound like an upgrade to me as well. Please work on injecting your own concepts. I highly suggest you rework the structure, pacing, expand the harmonic and melodic sections and resubmit. But this as it stands sounds for the most part like a superficial upgrade. I agree with larry for the most part.

NO Override