*NO* Donkey Kong Country 2 & Golden Sun 2 'Sailor Medley: Parts I & II'

djpretzel

email sub file Sailor Medley-Parts I & II.mp3

ReMixed file attached (sorry). Here's the down and dirty song info.

ReMixer Name: Schmancy (new user)

E-mail Address: schmancy47@aol.com

User ID: 30173, I think

Track Name: "Astrolabe"

Name of Game(s) ReMixed: "Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest"

AND "Golden Sun 2: The Lost Age"

Name of Song(s) ReMixed: "Mainbrace Mayhem" from "DKC 2" AND "Lemurian Ship" from "GS2: TLA"

Information about "Golden Sun 2: The Lost Age": System-Game Boy Advance

Producer-Nintendo Composer-Motoi Sakuraba

ReMix made using a KR-577 Roland iPiano. Recorded with a Creative Audigy Soundcard. Inspiration--boredom over summer.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/dkq.rsn - "Jib Jig" (dkq-05.spc)

Sounds pretty dope for MIDI stuff, but we generally don't take MIDI. The first section of the track didn't do anything that our other "Jib Jig" ReMix, "Set Sail," hasn't done already and done better. I can fairly safely assume that from the way you covered the DKC2 material, the Golden Sun 2 material probably isn't very interpretive either. No offense meant, but right now I don't feel like looking to see if my assumption is right or not.

Head to the ReMixing forum and at least move a step up by learning how to hook it up with some free soundfonts for your MIDI. Hate to cut this short, especially since this was very well-done for a MIDI, but NO. Perhaps upload the MIDI to VGMusic.

The arrangement was fun and bouncy even if it wasn't remarkably reinterpreted. You accompaniment parts get relatively soupy from time to time with the clarinet dancing around beneath the melody without really caring about what's happening in the other instruments. Unfortunately some of the soupishness keeps me from being able to completely evaluate the orchestration because I can't make out everything that's going on. This most likely has a lot to do with using the SB Audigy's built in midi sounds.

Yeah also...... I scanned through the GS2:TLA GSF and I couldn't find any track named "Lemurian Ship". Get yo' self some better sounds [there are many free orchestral samples that are FAR superior to the ones you're using now, go to the forums like Liontamer said]. What a happy ReMix!!

n0

Sounds pretty dope for MIDI stuff, but we generally don't take MIDI.

Just to clarify, it’s the General MIDI sound quality that will typically disqualify a mix, not the exclusive use of MIDI. Some ReMixers, myself included, have only used MIDI sequencing (no VSTs or fancy-schmancy processing) and still turn out great stuff.

This mix, as fun as it is, suffers from poor samples. The bagpipes are the definition of wonky, the fiddles and the brass sound thin and some of the percussive sounds could be a lot richer. The snare isn’t bad but the vibraslap, the castanets and the cymbals all could be better. If you’re going to stick to MIDI then what you need, as Larry suggested, is to boost your sound quality and versatility by picking up some of the tons of free soundfonts out there. For a great start, head over to HammerSound.net.

Also taking away from the fun is the close stylistic and compositional adherence to the source. It’s surely an upgrade but I’m generally looking for a more expansive take on the theme when the sound quality can’t jump in to save the day.

Overall, good stuff Ronak. There’s a lot of potential displayed here so hopefully you’ll keep working on this and other projects even when summertime boredom isn’t there to be your motivation.

NO

i honestly cant tell what that instrument is supposed to be. Is it supposed to be a duck?

Aesthetically it's a big turn-off to be smacked in the face with that right from the beginning.

The arrangement isn't that bad. Good dynamics, interesting ideas. unfortunately the ideas arent fully expanded, the song is short and sounds like a demo version. a sneak preview of the full song. double the length and get better samples.

NO