How do YOU guys get your source material?

PixelPanic

I wouldn't say his progress is hampered in the slightest. Have you heard halc's originals?

yup. they're good. so what dude? more knowledge of chords would still make him a musician with a slightly more varied and conscious pool of choices.

i can name a hundred things my musical progress is hampered by. i'm still happy enough with most of the tunes. it's not always a result but also a process thing.

everyone is a little lazier about some aspects of his craft. it doesn't necessarily result in poor crafting.

just don't deify halc cause you really like his music. cause i'll show up and write an extremely differentiated and boring post to set things right nobody cares about.

yup. they're good. so what dude? more knowledge of chords would still make him a musician with a slightly more varied and conscious pool of choices.

i can name a hundred things my musical progress is hampered by. i'm still happy enough with most of the tunes. it's not always a result but also a process thing.

everyone is a little lazier about some aspects of his craft. it doesn't necessarily result in poor crafting.

just don't deify halc cause you really like his music. cause i'll show up and write an extremely differentiated and boring post to set things right nobody cares about.

I don't think this has anything to do with deifying halc. It is just that halc is the only 'name' remixer who came out and admitted to using midi's as a starting point. There are a lot more of us out there.

Creative process is creative process no matter how it happens. What matters is the end result. How you get there is secondary.

That being said, you guys are all chumps. I actually composed the entire Chrono Trigger, Cross, and SOR soundtracks all in one night, travelled back in time, and gave them to Square and Sega respectively. Now put that in your pipe and smoke it!

And also, not sure where you're getting the "deifying" part; I don't drool over halc's music. I was pointing out that his originals still have the quality of his remixes, and that there are not, in fact, as I mentioned, MIDIs for original music. But whatever man, you do you!

Anyway, the point of this thread now is clearly my lessons with Doug. Wheeee!

Edit: Ah, I see that Ambient already addressed the former. And can also time travel.

What matters is the end result. How you get there is secondary.

it's a nice phrase, i've subscribed to it countless times before, but in the end, i'm led to believe that how you get there always has influences on the end result no matter how you might've envisioned it.

creativity is pure butterfly effect. any tiny bit of input into your system matters.

becoming better at recognising chord changes? pretty huge bit of input, usable for a lot of things. it's going to change your music, in some ways, over time. for better or worse? idk man, but it might add another fun and inspiring aspect to this whole making music thing for you. can't have too many of these.

i'm talking purely theoretically without agenda and am really just using halc as a practical example. i make very little music these days and sit on my ass a lot, so there you go ^^

edit: hero, the deifying bit was an exaggeration lol.

again, quoting myself, you don't need every available musical skill to make great music. did you read that bit?

that said, any skill can help, and getting better at playing/sequencing by ear is such an opportune and obvious skill to train when you're doing arrangements.