What the hell happened to music!?

AngelCityOutlaw

Jesus, that was a long read.

What I'm taking away from both is that we're screwed. And that the notion of "back in my day" has been around for a very, very long time.

Yeah, you could say it's exhausting in every definition of the word.

I don't know if we're totally screwed, but would take almost a new cultural phenomena to worm into the mainstream and open more doors for other fringe artists.

Or maybe the US gov't one day decides to start breaking up big media companies who clearly have too much influence and are partially responsible for choking the innovation, jobs, and life out of the music industry.

Wouldn't hold my breath on that happening any time soon though...

The overgrown media companies hypothesis makes some of the most sense I've seen in this topic. And so does the idea that the few remaining talented musicians left in the industry deserve better than the limited exposure (at least in hypothesis; I don't know about in practice).

I'll never forget Sharon's attitude in Episode 1507 (You're Getting Old) or Cartman's first line in 1605 (Butterballs). You know today's music and music videos scrape the bottom of the barrel when Cartman doesn't eat it up; even with tastes as lowly as his, even he has limits to how bad music can go before he gets put off!

"You haven't heard it? It's terrible! It's hardly even music; it just sounds like crap!"

"Stop pretending to like the kids' music, Randy! It's pathetic! You know damn well it sounds like crap to you too!"

"Nonono, I'm tellin' you guys, music videos have devolved to nothing but pretty girls wearing skin-tight clothes, and singin' songs about their v*******s. Used to be chicks sang about their relaionships; now it's all "my v******* this, my v******* that." But clearly that's what sells. Think about it. When was the last time you turned on a music video and didn't see some chick strumming a guitar singing about her v*******? See? You can't remember."

Many people I know can't imagine a world where dubstep and autotune become the new staples of weddings, family functions etc. "Or maybe I just don't want to." (The Shawshank Redemption)