Metroid Prime 2: Echoes Titles (Reverb Remix)

SgtYayap

The intro is pretty cool, it sets the atmosphere quite well. It reminds me of metroid: fusion's beginning scenes. When the melody (or chords) they seem a little slow and maybe off-beat, but not for long. The drums enter rather well, and sound good throughout the rest of the song. The melody does sound different, so this mix doesn't seem to conservative. It's actually closer to being too liberal. You change just about everything other than the melody. Maybe leaving the melody the way it was could tie it back to the source. I like the interlude, the choir is sweet. The problem though, is that when it goes back to the melody, there's not much change. A little later, you add more sounds to the backing. It could be good to have those right away instead of waiting. Or, have totally different backing in the second section. Either way, it prevents the track from evolving, though another issue is that it doesn't evolve much anyway. In addition, the melody is a little to repetitive IMO. I think there's more from the source you could have used. Maybe use that in the second section to make it evolve more. I could be mistaken, and if I am, try varying the melody in other ways later on, or right a solo. The ending is cool, though when the grinding percussion sounds end, they don't seem to have any reason to, and make the end seem to light. Maybe adding part of your intro to the end could be good. Last, and least, the lead synth is sort of so-so. It's not bad, but could probably use more work.

Other than the melody, all your other samples/synths are really good. Just about all of your backing is really good. I love the drum sounds, and the choir is awesome as well.

Not to say it's bad, or that it needs a huge amount of work, working on a few of those concerns should make it much better. Good luck!

The intro is pretty cool, it sets the atmosphere quite well. It reminds me of metroid: fusion's beginning scenes. When the melody (or chords) they seem a little slow and maybe off-beat, but not for long. The drums enter rather well, and sound good throughout the rest of the song. The melody does sound different, so this mix doesn't seem to conservative. It's actually closer to being too liberal. You change just about everything other than the melody. Maybe leaving the melody the way it was could tie it back to the source. I like the interlude, the choir is sweet. The problem though, is that when it goes back to the melody, there's not much change. A little later, you add more sounds to the backing. It could be good to have those right away instead of waiting. Or, have totally different backing in the second section. Either way, it prevents the track from evolving, though another issue is that it doesn't evolve much anyway. In addition, the melody is a little to repetitive IMO. I think there's more from the source you could have used. Maybe use that in the second section to make it evolve more. I could be mistaken, and if I am, try varying the melody in other ways later on, or right a solo. The ending is cool, though when the grinding percussion sounds end, they don't seem to have any reason to, and make the end seem to light. Maybe adding part of your intro to the end could be good. Last, and least, the lead synth is sort of so-so. It's not bad, but could probably use more work.

Other than the melody, all your other samples/synths are really good. Just about all of your backing is really good. I love the drum sounds, and the choir is awesome as well.

Not to say it's bad, or that it needs a huge amount of work, working on a few of those concerns should make it much better. Good luck!

Alright. I appreciate the input, as well as that it's okay to not change it too much. :) I'll work on revising it when I get the time tomorrow.

Your remix as it stands now is good, though a bit short and slightly repetitive. Here are a few suggestions:

• Instead of having your remixed melody come in at 0:45, use the original melody first then transition into your melody.

• The synth you're using for the melody sounds okay, but I think it would suit the part better if you used a synth that had more bite to it.

• Incorporate more of the source. Right now it sounds like you're only using the first 1:15.

• Extend the choir part at 1:23 and do more with it. The male choir sounds really cool and Metroid-esque.

• Crossfade the choir at 2:36 with the first three seconds of the intro so you have a little buildup before the fade out.

Thankfully, Light_of_Aether, the second and third improvements were already suggested, so I had already planned to work on those. Though, for the first suggestion, the source material's influence actually came in at :32/:33, when the piano/choir chords kick in.

I could just quote LoA. I'm not gonna. :P

32 seconds intro, weak synth keys, only modified modified melodies, looped melodies over looped drums... The mixing is decent, but the sound design could use some touching up and the writing should be a lot more interesting. While there's not a lot in the source to draw from, you can use the material that's there in different ways.

Nice start. :D

32 seconds intro, weak synth keys, only modified modified melodies, looped melodies over looped drums... The mixing is decent, but the sound design could use some touching up and the writing should be a lot more interesting. While there's not a lot in the source to draw from, you can use the material that's there in different ways.

.....why did you post this just after I updated? :lol:

In any case, I did take your biggest suggestion and modified some of the sounds, as well as threw in an electric guitar with what I consider a realistic-sounding guitar amp (I used Guitar Rig 5).

I still agree even with the update. The guitar was a nice touch. The percussion is pretty lifeless IMO. Nice texture on it but it lacks the sonic punch the source tune is calling for.

Not a big fan of the changes in the melody. Plus every note playing the melody sounds exactly the same in terms of texture. Even if it is a synth, there should be a "performance" aspect to it.

Going searching for some ambient background noise to add. That should add to the desolate mood.

Another big thing is the panning and stereo image is lacking. With such an atmospheric source and mix there should be more of a stereo image. Combinations of different panning and reverb to help give the song more depth.