Acoustic Treatment

Darangen

I've decided I want to see what I can do about doing some acoustic treatment for my studio. I'm asking for tips and tricks that you all may know.

Here's a very basic layout of the room:

Studio.png

The room is carpeted, and other than the diagonal corner in the top left is about 12x12. I have my computer and monitors in the diagonal corner.

I've done some basic research regarding acoustic foam, I'm just not so sure on where to put it. Looking at some studios they have foam on the walls in what seems to me to be random places that make me wonder "Why there, and not... 3 feet over there?"

I think my frequency problems seem to be too much bass and not a lot of highs. That's the sense I get when I listen to my mixes in other rooms or my car.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!

I've decided I want to see what I can do about doing some acoustic treatment for my studio. I'm asking for tips and tricks that you all may know.

Here's a very basic layout of the room:

Studio.png

The room is carpeted, and other than the diagonal corner in the top left is about 12x12. I have my computer and monitors in the diagonal corner.

I've done some basic research regarding acoustic foam, I'm just not so sure on where to put it. Looking at some studios they have foam on the walls in what seems to me to be random places that make me wonder "Why there, and not... 3 feet over there?"

I think my frequency problems seem to be too much bass and not a lot of highs. That's the sense I get when I listen to my mixes in other rooms or my car.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!

To be honest with you, a 12 x 12 room is probably one of the worst starting points for an acoustic treatment.

There is not enough foam you can put in that room to eliminate the kinds of bass nodes you'd get in a room like that.

If I were you, I'd focus on just trying to get rid of first reflections and hope that some low powered direct field monitors are your monitoring solution, because anything bigger than a 5" driver is probably going to be too much for that room.

You might consider some movable baffles/gobos.

http://www.interstatemusic.com/34951-Clearsonic-S5-2-Sorber-48-And-quot-x66-And-quot-x1-5-And-quot-Square-Dark-Grey-Sound-Baffle-Panel-w-.aspx?sku=PB2885&source=Google+Base_CASCIO&source=Google+Base_Cascio&utm_source=google&utm_medium=product&utm_campaign=gbase

We have two of these (each one is like two 'panels', that pic has three of them lined up. They are light and provide good isolation/dampening. Adding blankets, pillows or cushions to the corners will help seriously soak up bass response. You could also try simple foam pads for your monitors/sub that will absorb some excess resonance.

We are working on a recording room ourselves. We bought a ton of 1x1 Auralex squares at a pretty low price. According to Auralex (who will help you with this sort of thing over the phone), you want some good even spacing and coverage on the walls, and avoid parallel drywall.

The baffles look like a good idea, I'm just not sure if I'd have a place to store them unless I left them up permanently, which I guess is an option?

The Auralex squares are what I've been looking at the most, the local Sam Ash nearby would sell me about a dozen for $50. I'm not sure if that's too many squares or not enough. I'll try giving Auralex a call and see if they have any recommendations.

dannthr, the first reflections are the spots on the wall where the monitors are pointing at, correct?

Any planar surface which can reflect sound coming from your monitors toward your ears.

Typically, your side walls, your back wall, front wall, ceiling, and desk.

If you can place a mirror on a surface, sit at your mixing position, and somehow see your monitors, then that mirror is a position where an early reflection is created.