Seperate Ways (DKC2 Jib Jig - Dream/Uplifting Trance Remix)

Lampje4life

Remix: http://tindeck.com/listen/nipw

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGHQ5iBJkzA

Heya OCR,

I'd like to share some music I am working on atm.

It's a simple trancey remix from DKC2's Rigging theme.

Since the source is quite short and I don't like repetitive music it's just 3:18 long.

Probably alot of mastering and EQ issues still left there. Also not satisfied by the emptyness after the climax (missing some mid-range I think?).

Comments and critics very welcome. Seriously, you dont have to be nice, I'd like to know what could be improved :)

Thanks!

As noted, this song is short - I think this song lacks a complete feel to it. With how the song ends, there definitely is room for expansion even if it requires the injection of a little original material. There's a crowded sound to the song around two-thirds of the way through due to the instruments occupying the same mid-range frequencies. Clarity seems to be a big issue throughout the whole song - perhaps there's overcompression going on?

This particular take on the same source might give some inspiration for you for the arrangement at least: http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02007/

First off, I love love love the sound you're using as your intro bass lead. Really clean, very pleasant to listen to. I don't know why that stood out to me so much, but it did, haha.

I agree with pretty much everything Bahamut said. There is a bit of crowdedness around the 2/3 mark. It actually doesn't bother me at all (I found it to be kind of an interesting sound), but I can definitely see where some might take issue with it.

And I definitely agree that you could totally add a couple extra minutes onto this without being at all repetitive or dragging the song out. It really does feel like it needs to be a good 2+ minutes longer.

I'm not sure if you're looking for compositional criticism (and... maybe I'm not the best person to be giving it? Haha), but compositionally I'm loving what you've got here. Really enjoyable to listen to; I've probably annoyed my roommate with my jammin' out to this. However, I do have an issue with the way you've handled the second part of the main melody. This is probably just a personal preference, but I've always felt that a real strength of that part of the song (0:15 in the source; shows up at 2:05 in your remix) is the way the chord progression changes and the melody plays off of it. In the remix, the chord progression stays the same, and overall it feels kind of... static, I guess? Like it could have explored a different area, but didn't. And I think that, if you were to change up the chord progression there, it would help for if you try to extend the song -- having the same chord progression for 5+ minutes could be annoying, but having a couple of different chord progressions helps keep things fresh.

This is my no-musical-training-at-all advice. :D Regardless of what you do or don't do, I love what you've already got. This is right up my alley. Keep it up; I'd love to hear more!