Symphonic Rock string library?

EW has 50% discount for students year round.

Is there some type of upgrade path available for EDU licenses to a standard? What I mean is, if you decide to sell your music. If there isn't then it's kind of a waste.

I realize not everyone wants it to make commercialized music, but I'm curious. Soundsonline gives no indication on the website.

Check out LASS (LA Scoring Strings) also. It's strings only but very very good.

It's also a thousand dollars. I'm only saying so because he stated his budget was around $250.

The demos for LASS do sound amazing, but yeah they're way out of my current budget.

I've got a pretty good deal going for EWQLSO Gold, so I'm going to try and go that route.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Just FYI, there's a "lite" version of LASS that is significantly cheaper than the full library and would have all the features you need for the epic rock sound, though it is only strings.

From personal experience with both libraries, the amount of time you will spend trying to get EWQL to sound half-way decent is about as long as it takes to do an entire mixdown with the LASS... there's really no comparison in quality, imo.

Just FYI, there's a "lite" version of LASS that is significantly cheaper than the full library and would have all the features you need for the epic rock sound, though it is only strings.

From personal experience with both libraries, the amount of time you will spend trying to get EWQL to sound half-way decent is about as long as it takes to do an entire mixdown with the LASS... there's really no comparison in quality, imo.

Depends on what you're going for and what the rest of your mix is looking like.

EW's philosophy is to aim for an Out of the Box hollywood trailer sound. You have to want your instruments to sound like they were recorded in Benroya Hall because that's what happened and you can't take the hall's early reflections out of it. This works out great if your goals are inline with this sound to begin with.

Audiobro's philosophy is to aim for a versatile dry, scoring-stage sound. The recordings are very raw, so it leaves maximum potential for your mixing goals (especially when you factor in the timbral variances between the divisi sections and any potential combinations). But this means that some mixing is required, and in some cases, plenty of mixing is required.

LASS has a harshness that is raw and airy, but at the same time, needs to be tamed.

EW has a preprocessed feeling, a lot of the air has been removed, leaving the samples slightly life-less, but also ready to mix with itself (which is its ultimate goal).

Add guitars, drums, bass, distorted cello, etc, and you will face challenges on either side of the fence.

LASS lite is still $400. Considerably cheaper, yes, but still a bit too high for me right now.

My knowledge in mixing these kinds of things right now is extremely limited, so it sounds like EW would be a better option for me. At least for now. What I'm going for isn't really having the strings up front but more for atmosphere and supplemental roles. If they're slightly life-less I don't think that will affect my goals for it.

I'll definitely be keeping LASS in mind if I end up needed anything more later down the road. From what dannthr says though, I'd be way out of my league picking up LASS right now as opposed to being faced with a decent learning curve in EW.

Yeah I was more talking about LASS lite, which is sometimes on sale for $300 so check back every now and again.

It's exactly the same as the full one, only difference being you can't do divisi sections. So you can't get half of the first violin section to play something different from the other half. And you can't get the leader to play a solo :3.