*NO* Phantasy Star 'New Motavia'

DragonAvenger

ReMixer name: Cosmonal

Email address:

Userid: 33016

Game: Phantasy Star (Master System)

Song(s): "Motavia"

Remix title: "New Motavia"

Comments: With some real bass played by my brother, hope you like some loose slaps :)

----------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFs5lJmfs3g

• 1 month later...

Suuuuper 80's feel on this one. It's a really fun soundscape, and you use the instruments and progression to your advantage. I think there are times where you could take it further, even, although it's a fine line to hit. Arrangement-wise I think there are some good personalized moments, but there are areas that feel copy-pasted. 1:45 in particular made me worried that I would hear the exact same as before. Adjusting some of those sections to have more variation would be a good idea. 2:44 to the end is excellent, and more of that earlier would definitely do the trick for me!

Production is mixed. Personally the late attack on the synth strings is driving me nuts, but I could see why people would say it fits the style. Some areas feel very sparse in the soundscape, especially compared to my favorite 2:44 section. Aside from that, everything does feel super dated, but it also fits the style. I'm curious what the other judges think.

There are some excellent areas here, and I'd love the rest of it to match those sections. Gonna send this one back to you, and I hope you hit it up!

NO (Resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

I love the aesthetic here, but I also came away feeling there was something lacking. I think part of the problem is that the drums seem dry compared to the rest of the tracks. Almost like you were mixing 70's drums with 80's synths - the combination seemed a little off to me, though not horrible or anything, just a little weak. I also agree with Deia that at 2:44 you added a lot of great ideas there, and the rest of the arrangement could have used a little more of that. I think even one more "layer" could have really spiced up the beginning of the song. Very close to a pass for me, but I'd like to see another go at it. I think you could easily make a passable song on your next attempt, and with some luck, you might even get the nod this time.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

some good crits here that I'll agree too. some of that drum writing was definitely pretty robotic, especially during the fills and more energetic bits. the overall track was also definitely feeling kinda sparse as well, and the soundscape is static and doesn't evolve very much over the course of the piece. I agree with Deia's crits on the arrangement but I think changing up/layering in more sounds more often would make the keep the arrangement feeling fresh without having to change much of the actual composition. definitely a solid piece you've got here, but I think one more coat of polish would really make it shine.

NO(resub)