Final Fantasy VII - Holding my thoughts in my heart

Blindzoom

Boy, it's been awhile. Alright, I'll give this a shot, despite my existence being negated by the Judginator ;)

MOD REVIEW

Oh, hey, I remember this one. I'm glad to see you working on this one ;)

Nice introduction. That piano sounds excessively bright, though - you'll want to give that a low-pass and/or EQ some of the upper mids on that. I understand that you want it to stand out from the strings that you have going at the same time, which you should accomplish by either EQ'ing the backing instruments out of the pianos way or thinning out the background by lowering volume/removing a few notes. You're right in wanting to make the piano stand in the front, though - just accomplish it in a more subtle manner, is all.

When the trance comes in, the production is over-compressed. I think I suggested it before, and I'll suggest it again: bypass pretty much all compressors/limiters, set all your levels to 100, then figure out what's too loud and work up from the individual instrument up to the final mixer for each instrument. If you meticulously do this for each instrument and ensure that nothing clips at that point, you will have something that you can raise the volume levels from that will sound absolutely divine. The process normally takes me about 3-4 hours for any of my tracks, so it doesn't take too long for amazing results. Message me if you need more details on the process. This is the biggest single issue with the track, now, so please do whatever you can to correct it - I promise your music in the future will shine if you perfect this aspect of production.

A little flipdy-doo at 1:36 with the portamento... Minor, but I thought you'd like to know. :P

That transition at 2:50 is a bit sudden. I think that you should approach that with a little more time - give the track a little more time to slow into that part, as the fade into it is a bit awkward.

Oh Jesus, that part at 4:07, then that chord change at 4:13... perfect. I love that series of chords (and it sounds even better when it comes back in) - very nice use of a deceptive cadence. I have to give you props for raising the hair on my neck for that one.

Overall, this is great, but I would see this getting a resub, still, simply due to production. They would want this to be in top condition, production-wise, as the arrangement is nearly perfect. Again, message me if you want more details on that and I'll try to break the process down in an easier to read manner.

I really do look forward to this one when it's perfect, as it will be absolutely amazing.

MOD REVIEW

Nice introduction. That piano sounds excessively bright, though - you'll want to give that a low-pass and/or EQ some of the upper mids on that. I understand that you want it to stand out from the strings that you have going at the same time, which you should accomplish by either EQ'ing the backing instruments out of the pianos way or thinning out the background by lowering volume/removing a few notes. You're right in wanting to make the piano stand in the front, though - just accomplish it in a more subtle manner, is all.

When the trance comes in, the production is over-compressed. I think I suggested it before, and I'll suggest it again: bypass pretty much all compressors/limiters, set all your levels to 100, then figure out what's too loud and work up from the individual instrument up to the final mixer for each instrument. If you meticulously do this for each instrument and ensure that nothing clips at that point, you will have something that you can raise the volume levels from that will sound absolutely divine. The process normally takes me about 3-4 hours for any of my tracks, so it doesn't take too long for amazing results. Message me if you need more details on the process. This is the biggest single issue with the track, now, so please do whatever you can to correct it - I promise your music in the future will shine if you perfect this aspect of production.

A little flipdy-doo at 1:36 with the portamento... Minor, but I thought you'd like to know. :P

That transition at 2:50 is a bit sudden. I think that you should approach that with a little more time - give the track a little more time to slow into that part, as the fade into it is a bit awkward.

But but but... are you sure??Judganator told me that this is the best remix of all the best remixes, maybe you want to re-evaluate your opinion!:-)

Jokes apart, i can hear what you pointed.

I think i will have no problems in adding a one more bar of fading kickdrum and write something on it to make the transition at 2:50 take longer to roll into the breakdown.

About the flipdy doo on portamento, i need some clarification due to my school-level english (what does flipdy-doo stands for??) and my scarce experience with the portamento of my instruments, i must admit i rarely play with it:(

Oh Jesus, that part at 4:07, then that chord change at 4:13... perfect. I love that series of chords (and it sounds even better when it comes back in) - very nice use of a deceptive cadence. I have to give you props for raising the hair on my neck for that one.

Overall, this is great, but I would see this getting a resub, still, simply due to production. They would want this to be in top condition, production-wise, as the arrangement is nearly perfect. Again, message me if you want more details on that and I'll try to break the process down in an easier to read m

anner.

I really do look forward to this one when it's perfect, as it will be absolutely amazing.

Now you are talking like a real judganator!:D

Thank you for the kind words, i'll pm you for sure, i saw you use Reason too so maybe you can also lend me some insider tips.

aaaand, back to WIP

I think i will have no problems in adding a one more bar of fading kickdrum and write something on it to make the transition at 2:50 take longer to roll into the breakdown.

There's a way to do that without fading the kick. You could just do a ping pong delay cymbal along with a snare roll and a kick to emphasize the start of the next measure, and then have a silent kick sidechained to the bass to keep that going as you already have now (send to the bass but not the master, and it'll just keep the bass pulsing). Kinda like

There's a way to do that without fading the kick. You could just do a ping pong delay cymbal along with a snare roll and a kick to emphasize the start of the next measure, and then have a silent kick sidechained to the bass to keep that going as you already have now (send to the bass but not the master, and it'll just keep the bass pulsing). Kinda like

Uh, yeah, probably this is a better approach, i'll try this!

Oh, flipty do - it simply means that the instrument sounds like theres a slight yet extreme moment with the portamento that sounds unintentional. It could be something as simple as you switching the portamento on (or off) at that moment, or the note previous was too distant for it to sound good. Often, the fix is as simple as moving the enable on the portamento to a 32nd/64th past the note in question.

Flipty-doo. It's very technical.

Ok, first attempt of mastering after decompression, i have to work some more on the transition, @timaeus222 please let me know if what you suggested is something in this mood

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kaf5zczk5axmj7p/Holding_M_8.4_v2.mp3

Whoops, that's not *quite* what I meant, but I see that I was a bit unclear.

I was thinking of pretty much the same thing, except the snare roll was moved back to lead into the first ping pong delay cymbal. :razz:

I'm not on my good headphones yet, but I think this is an improvement on the compression! =)

Update, i think i have addresses all the problems i could find, tried also some changes in the portamento but didn't like the result, so i'm sticking to the original arrangement since i'm ok with it.

Also a good improvement on overall clarity of the mix after several attempts of mixing\mastering combinations.

Hope you enjoy this

https://www.dropbox.com/s/owyveega1eoxzny/Holding_M_13.4_v3.mp3