Alex Kort, Taro Naoi

starmandeluxe2001@gmail.com

http://soundcloud.com/aktion-51

Your userid - 48642

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged - Donkey Kong Country

Name of arrangement - Deep Space 5

Name of individual song(s) arranged - Aquatic Ambiance

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site) - SNES, 1994. Composer credits: David Wise, Robin Beanland, Eveline Novakovic

Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site) - http://www.last.fm/music/Dave+Wise/Donkey+Kong+Country+(OST)

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc

AKTioN 51 is an electronic music duo producing mainly original tracks. Although newcomers to OCRemix, we have been following its growth since 2004. After getting interested in the dance music scene, we discovered chill, ambient, and deep house, which we thought would make a great pairing with David Wise's DK Water Music masterpiece, a game track that had an impact on us since grade school. Sound effects were sampled from real ocean and rain recordings. We tried to keep it peacefully funky with original bass and lead lines but at the same time retain that "deep" sound with the kick and pad. No as-is presets, every sound is handcrafted with love. We really hope you enjoy our first submission.

• 1 month later...

This one's pretty tough. You've got a pretty fun groove going on, and when things really kick in it's an interpretive and fun take on the source. My issue is that it takes a long time to get to that point. As it stands the first 1/3 of the song has no source reference whatsoever, and then it comes in slowly. I would argue that that is a lot to go before we have a connection, but I'm curious what the other judges think.

Production is pretty good. The only issue I have there is that there is a lot of reverb on the bell synth and it could be turned down a bit.

NO (resubmit)(for now)

I love that bassline, I didn't think something like that could work for this song but it's really the most memorable part of the mix here. You guys did a great job with that.

Deia got it right though, this is a very enjoyable listen and your production is great, but in general I feel like it carries on autopilot for the most part. I like the subtle changeups and fills here but overall it just doesn't feel like enough. More dramatic/creative transitions, fills, etc. would really help this take off and reach new heights. The melodic parts are varied throughout the song but I honestly don't see much rhyme or reason to the arrangement itself. It seems like you just cycle through various pattern fills over a pretty static beat/bassline, and it's just not doing it for me.

Sorry guys, you've got production nailed down and there's a few aspects to the song that I really like, but the arrangement itself just feels uninspired and doesn't ever really go anywhere. I'll be keeping this one on my playlist for some nice groovy background music but as far as OCR is concerned, I think this is still missing something.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

yeah, I was really hoping for this one to spread it's wings a little more in the second half. the intro and general first half of the arrangement was great imo, and I didn't have a problem with the way it was used or how long the intro was, as it was definitely over 50%. the piece just kinda lost momentum halfway through, not sure what a better way to put it would be. a nice foundation, but needs a little more polish, imo.

NO(resub)