*NO* EarthBound 'Picture Postcard on a Blue Altar'

OceansAndrew

Hello! I'd like to submit my remix of Mother 2 (Earthbound) "Otherworldly Foe Battle Theme". For quick reference, here's a link to the original of which it is based. It's entitled "Picture Postcard On A Blue Altar" and falls between the genres Psychedelic and Downtempo Electronica.

ReMixer Name: andyjgoodson (a.k.a The Peanut Butter Genocide)

http://soundcloud.com/peanutbuttergenocide

User ID: 48528

I've submitted it in a zip file which I hope is okay. Hope you guys like it! All the best,

Andy

Whew, really weird stuff. It matches the source well, that's for certain, and the constant evolution keeps it more interesting throughout.

I am hearing a lot of crowding in the low mids from the bass, which could stand to use a bit of EQ surgery to clean it up. The overall feel is really plodding, and while there are interesting landmarks sprinkled around, most of the journey feels a bit aimless. I was definitely not feeling the extended static at the end either, it didn't feel like a fit conceptually at all, so whatever the intent was, it needs to be a bit clearer.

Overall I feel that it's a little too out there for me to really enjoy, I think the arrangement could potentially work, but it feels a bit like a big experimental track. Maybe tightening up the structure and trimming some fat would help.

no, please resubmit

• 1 month later...

I really don't know how to be more specific than Andrew already has been. It's a strange source to begin with, and it's a hard mix to judge. I definitely agree that the lack of a clear direction makes it the most difficult to put my finger on how to make this better while staying true to the style of what you're going for. I'm curious what the next judge will think.

The choice of sounds is pretty good for this sort of otherworldy feel , for sure. The instruments have a good interplay with each other. I do agree with Andrew as well on the EQ clean up.

I think adding a bit more of a focus in the track or really showing the build a little more will help bring this to a state that's in OCR's standards.

NO (resubmit)

At first, I found this one a little dull, but after considering the source choice, I was able to get a better grasp on what you were going for here.

You've got a nice knack for this constantly-evolving, ambient arrangement approach. I was digging the structure more than OA and felt like, for the genre you were tackling, it worked pretty well. The guitar work in the background is pretty cool but during the "solo" at the end, it feels like it's pushed too far back.

The snare sound throughout the song feels kind of annoying to me, but especially during the ending it just grates on my nerves :-( I would recommend searching for a new sample to use there. I'm with OA about the ending in general, it's simply too much, and the sharp cutoff at the end does not sound natural at all, like your song didn't finish rendering properly. Definitely something to look into.

Some small stuff, but overall I was feeling this. It's a close call but it still feels like it's lacking in polish in some areas. I could definitely see a more refined version of this being posted someday though, it's a great take on some quirky, unusual source material.

NO (resub!)