Your ReMixer name: TUNE

Your real name: Tunde Junior

Your email address: tune@theycallmeTUNE.com

Your website: http://theycallmeTUNE.com

Your userid (number, not name) on our forums: 48891

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Super Mario All-Stars

Name of arrangement: SMB1 Overworld

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Overworld (Main Theme)

Composed by: Soyo "DJ Alice" Oka and Koji Kondo

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.

I used to produce video game remixes on OCRemix under the alias "lilsonic". Then I went the hip-hop/ pop route and disappeared from my roots as a VG Music Remixer. I'm trying to slowly come back and see if I can incorporate what i've learned in the industry into OC Remix. This should be fun. What better way to start than to remix the music of the first video game I ever played back when I was 5 years old. Time to have some fun!

- TUNE

- "SMB1 Overworld BGM"

Sections like :22-:59 had the same progression as the source tune, but everyone should know how I feel about that by now; just using a source tune's progression is a nice touch, but that doesn't count as actually using the source tune (otherwise we could accept original tracks where someone just followed the chord progression of a piece of game music).

So I wanted to just double check how much the Overworld theme was actually in play: Since this was 3:08-long, I needed 94 seconds' worth of explicit source usage to at least qualify it on using the source material:

:00-:22, :59-1:17.25, 1:45-2:21, 2:39.5-2:57.5 = 104.25 seconds or 55.45%

Anyway, the source usage was over the line, as far as the source tune being used during more than half of the arrangement, but the source tune arrangement wasn't developed enough for this to work as a standalone piece at all. There were a couple instances of the chorus being used in a stylized way, but it was pretty much taking the 7-note opening to the tune, giving it some minor variations and repeating it over and over again.

Well, the email header mentioned this was an instrumental, and you weren't kidding. The actual instances of VGM arrangement here are too repetitive. It's not a bad beat at all; it's mixed well and sounds pretty solid. But there's not enough substance or development here for this to pass as a standalone track. That's not always the case with rap instrumentals, but that's absolutely the case with this one. What's there with the instrumental right now sounds sweet, but doesn't develop the themes as much as repeat the same ideas over and over.

You'd definitely need add lyrics to this to flesh it out and add that missing piece of the puzzle. Ideally, those lyrics would ALSO use either the Overworld or other Mario themes a bit, so that you're offering some other VGM arrangement ideas in there. Cool start, now put some words to it to take it to the next level.

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...