Chrono Trigger - Good Night (Inn jingle)

stats.png

I planned this as a contest entry for DoD last month, since the theme was "Jingle Month", but I got caught up with other stuff and didn't manage to finish it on time.

The source is right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4a6DU8tTqs

I'll try to break down source usage if for some reason you don't hear it :P

0:00 Original intro

0:18 Clean guitar solo plays the source (with minor variations)

0:36 Original stuff

0:54 Lead guitar plays the source (again, with minor variations)

1:11 During the electric guitar solo, clean guitar plays the source in the background

1:29 Lead guitar plays the source again

1:48 4 bars of the source interchange two times with 4 original bars

2:05 Rhythm guitar and piano play figures based on the source

Feedback is appreciated, especially concerning production since this is one of my rare rock remixes. I plan to re-record the guitars so sorry for sloppy playing xD

The cymbals sound a bit too loud, you should work on that.

I'm a bit surprised that your arrangement manages to sound happier than the original source :-P

Even though you use the same chord progression for the whole song, it doesn't feel repetitive (maybe thanks to the drums). However, the song could maybe reach higher levels if you experimented a bit more, like changing tone or something. Maybe, making more than minor variations. After all, the source is like 10 seconds long.

My production expertise is definitely not on rock remixes lol, but I do have to say this sounds pretty sweet!

I don't know exactly what it is though, but I think I enjoyed the intro and outro more than the middle with the solo. Something about the instruments felt like nothing really stood out style wise to me, maybe it's something with the drums or the bass not really feeling too fleshed out. The guitar is pretty sweet, but that too can do more than it is right now.

I wish I could be more specific, but if I were to say I would try a bit more variation just to see what you can come up with. It's a jingle too so really you can tweak the chord progression also, and the bassline, etc.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the comments! Was a bit stuck in exams so I couldn't fix the problems right away, but it's all been taken care of.

I've changed the snare and kick drum sample to some less piercing ones, and also lowered the volume and reverb on the crash. The main solo has been re-recorded again.

I don't feel like experimenting with the song structure, since this is exactly what I had in mind - and after all, we see plenty of popular songs repeating same chords over and over :P

Since this song is done and I'm pretty content with how it turned out, I'll also take this opportunity to bump this for a mod review.

• 3 weeks later...

Late mod review, sorry it took so long.

Guitar comes in a little too late, drums are really loud compared to the first guitar and keyboard, not sure about the crash-heavy drum writing in a long like this, gets repetitive while staying on the same chord like this. Also a few guitar timing problems towards the end.

OA does this style, so have a look at his tracks. Cool idea, nice sound, but it's stuck on that one same musical idea. With something else to do, playing on a different chord, harmonic variations, whatever, you could easily make this a sweet little ocr-bound track.

With a source this short, you'd have to be creative with it, do more than just play it over and over with some melodic changes. It's a really sweet track (and having something like this on the sd3 sleep jingle would be great, wink wink shameless invite).

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

- Too conservative - sticks too close to the source - easily solved with some harmonic variation or something else to break from the repetition, which is a bigger issue

PRODUCTION

- Too loud - some instruments compared to others

PERFORMANCE (live recorded audio/MIDI parts)

- Timing not tight enough - occasionally

STRUCTURE

- Not enough changes in sounds (eg. static texture, not dynamic enough) - not a big deal, but worth pointing out

- Too repetitive - everything plays over the same loop