Brandon Strader

www.bstrader.net

Game: Mega Man 9

Source: Splash Woman / Wily Stage 2

Splash Woman:

Wily Stage 2:

Title: Splash Damage

Notes:

My last solo Splash Woman mix, combined with Wily Stage 2 from the same game -- Mega Man 9. Thanks DarkeSword for the great match-up for the Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet choosing a Wily theme that fit very well with my source. This mix ended my creative vision of Splash Woman arrangements, and is the last song for my "The Wettening" EP which will appear eventually at http://brandonstrader.bandcamp.com/ if it's not already there at the time of posting. This is a very personalized ethnic take on the two combined sources.. gotta namedrop Ethnic Rush and Omerta as the stylistic predecessors to it. I think Splash Damage takes a very sorrowful tone, and I used a guanzi sound in the song to evoke a mood of sadness.

Even with the personalization, a lot of the melodies from the sources are featured somewhat verbatim such as the right-panned low whistle at 2:37 -- without even a grace note. But I think the higher level of personalization offsets the more conservative melodies. And I did get a bit expressive with the "Splash Woman" melodies due to being so familiar with them by this point.

• 5 weeks later...

compression might be pushing just very slightly on the master, the low end feels a bit smooshed at times, some of the writing felt a little unnatural, definitely some weird articulation stuff going on in the strings, but a lot of the wind leads were nicely done and the overall arrangement was very expressive. cool stuff.

YES

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely liked the ethnic approach here. I think the mix overall is pretty creative, even when the melodies stay pretty close to the original. There's plenty of creativity in the background that more than makes up for it, and I found it to be an enjoyable listen. Halc mentioned some faults, but they are pretty minor in the long run, and the track is still above the bar.

YES

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really digging your sound choices here. I suppose they're pretty traditional for a track in this genre, but the end result still feels very unique and personalized. The staccato strings are a really nice touch too. Ultimately, it's probably my favorite of the many Splash Woman tracks you've done :-)

There's definitely some performance/sequencing sloppiness throughout the track, but it's all so minor that I can't see it dragging this one down.

YES