My email address -

My website - http://cyrillyric.bandcamp.com

Forum ID - 14729

Game Arranged: Final Fantasy XIII

Name of Arrangement: Snowing

System: Playstation 3

Composer: Masashi Hamauzu

Additional stuff:

This was done way too long ago for FBRC 2010, yea you heard me 2010. Enough people bugged me to submit it that I finally am doing it now after almost 2 years. So if this hits the panel it will be another year before it's posted, but ah well my bad. ;)

Regardless, a simple arrangement. I didn't really feel like just doing a rock cover of a clearly rock song would do it justice so I got this vision in my head of a really folky style arrangement. Mandolin, Djembe, Acoustic and Flute. Strings were added in because I felt it could be padded a little bit more, I tried to make the best use of samples I could, they are clearly samples but I hope they are sequenced well enough.

So yea, its probably pretty cover-y but I think I messed with the melodies enough/added extra harmonies that it's a good fit for OCR. Now for me to polish up my 12 other mixes that need to be subbed to here.

~Cyril

Original:

• 3 weeks later...

love the direction you took this source in, toning it down a bit, however I think there are some smaller issues that are bringing it down a bit.

-as you said, it's cover-ish, and I think you could afford to take more risks with the arrangement. I'll agree that there's a passing level of interpretation involved here, but just barely. ;)

-lead flute/string sequencing and articulations were stiff and lacked realism

-soundscape had a nice warm sound, but felt a bit sparse to me, like it could have used some light pad or string chords in the background just to act as a 'glue' or sorts, and I would have liked to hear some more variation in the instrumentation, but I don't think the style dictates constant sonic variation as necessary, so that's a subjective thought. ;) I'd probably feel better about it if the sample/sequencing quality were improved.

-slight timing issues in 2nd half of track

I like the tune but I think it needs a bit more polish before we can post it up here.

NO(resub)

• 1 month later...

Halc has this spot-on. Really liking where you're going with this, but it definitely needs more in terms of variation, and the production definitely needs to be finessed more. I'm not quite as stuck on the soundscape needing to be changed around, but I certainly wouldn't be opposed to more variation, either.

Dunno if you'll have the drive after so long to fix this up, or even the project files. I hope you do, because I'd love to see this on the front page.

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

Opening acoustic playing sounded a bit loose. Actually, throughout, that seems to be the theme, with really loose playing. There are some nice additions to the source, but some parts arent clicking at all, like the mandolin(?) part at 2:11 is not on beat at all. Basically the individual parts sound fine, but they arent locked together at all. I thought the soundscape was fine, but the sequencing felt stiff, at least compared to the extra loose performances otherwise. Maybe if they were tightened up it wouldn’t be as apparent. The level of interpretation is low, but passable, but this needs some polish. I really love the concept though!

No, please resubmit