*NO* Battle of Olympus 'Music from Arcadia'

djpretzel

Potential MIDI rip?? - djp

Hello Overclocked ReMix !

I wish to submit a remix i made :-)

The original music comes from the video game "Battle of Olympus" (Nes) Music originally written by K. Sawa. I personally played this game as a kid and loved the game and the music. So i tried to make a so called Remix of the music from the town "Arcadia" in the game.

I made it in Fasttracker 2 with some different samples i've collected through the years. I know the quality of most samples are very poor. But i hope you will atleast listen to the whole song ;-)

My Remixers name: Kriko

My email: dea138@hotmail.com

Thank you.

I know a little about this game (I have a collab mix from it here at OCR and I beat the game like four times.) ;)

This is not a midi rip, but there are two sides to this mix. One section with new additions and one section with fairly conservative takes of the source material (with some minor additions). Battle of Olympus was a splendid game so it's nice to see more people submit material from this game.

I'd like to see you integrate these two sections more. Additionally beyond the two main sections of this mix, these two are way too conservative. I'd like to see you play with the melody or harmony more. Change up something, the rhythm the tempo or even the structure. The key is to for expansion. I do like the new material you've added in the intro, and especially in the middle section. The bass line was also particularly fun, but beyond that the arrangement aspects still need a lot more work from what we'd expect in an OCR mix.

Production as you yourself have noted is in part bland. The samples are below average, but there's not much done in the production department to make it interesting or sound better. We've had a bunch of trackers submit stuff with more sophisticated work in this regard. It's not just the samples, it's what you do with them.

Decent effort and a fun listen (for my own nostalgic reasons) but this is below the bar in almost all categories. Keep at it, you have some good ideas but need more experience and polish. Visit our Remixing forum and try to get some other trackers to help you out.

NO

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/olympus.zip - Track 1 (Thank God Zophar's fixed that page and finally put their NSF archive back up)

Still not really with the MIDI/beginner-sounding stuff today. I'm fine with Gray saying it's not Overrideable, as it's not, but this was still pretty weak. Samples are dull and lifeless the whole way through, and the texture is thin.

Melody coming in at :31 is essentially verbatim with the original. The new instrumental parts and occasional original breaks created are all good ideas, but ultimately nothing meaningfully expansive to me. Track was way too long and repetitive as well. Needs a lot more on all levels.

Like Gray said, go to the ReMixing forum, and don't forget the Works forum as well for additional feedback on future pieces.

NO

The instruments don't hurt it. You n00bs evar hear of teh chiptoonz? Same difference. Instrumentation, so long as it is consistent across the board, will never preclude an imaginative arrangement.

And therein lies the problem.

I'm with Pretzel on this one about it's midi-ripocity (N. the quality or condition of being a midi-rip). The bass is a pretty dead giveaway. And even if that's proven to be false, why write the original with a few ornamental changes? Why not, oh, make it your own?

Consequently, my biggest beef is not so much that it's a quasi-rip, but that it doesn't stray outside the sanctuary the original affords it. It's like the original song's director's cut.

NO

And Gray, that shit was NOT a good game. Frustrating, confusing, and unbelievably SCARY for a child mind. For shame.