Getting started!

Heya! If I put this thread in the wrong part of the forum, please move it.

Anyway, my questions are about gear. I've been playing music with bands (rock) for a couple of years, but last year I started studying game music composition at a university. The time has finally come for me to grow out of my schools computer and get my own gear, and that's where it got messy.

There's so much stuff out there I couldn't even begin knowing where to start. But after some research I've found a few different libraries/plugins that I'm considering. My question tho is.. anything, really, related to these programs och if there are any better ways to begin.

I'm a fantasy/sci-fi/ambience type of guy really. What I'm looking for is some good orchestral stuff, great sounding pads/synthesizers to obtain all those comfty background sounds and all other necesseties like drums, basses, effects etc.

I've been looking at the Komplete 8 Ultimate kit to get me started. Seems like a great starter kit, but compared to the EWQL orchestral sounds I found it quite lacking. The plus with the Komplete 8 tho seems to be the synthesizers like Absynth and Massive which produced some nice sounds. Those are the different orchestral packs I've looked at so far, and I'm interested in getting some opinions about not just these two but anything else that might be recommended. Also would be great to hear if anyone thinks I should start with a fairly large pack like Komplete 8 which probably includes alot of shite I won't use, or if I should go with specializing in something that sounds great from the start (<-- realized that sentence sounded quite dumb. I meant that I might miss out on things in a larger pack that I hadn't thought of using).

Cheers, Ken!

What the Native Instruments stuff lacks in high quality, it makes up for with a wide range of equipment that is extremely useful and well-recommended to most game composers. People buy Kontakt not necessarily for the Factory Sounds (which are a mixed bag, at best) but because a huge majority of sample companies develop for and exclusively for Kontakt.

The EWQL stuff is certainly great sounding material, but it's got a high learning curve on it and the PLAY engine isn't nearly as user-friendly.

It just depends on what you want - better sounds (EWQL) or better programs/versatility (NI).

With the kinds of freebie synths out there, you might not need the synths from Komplete. On the other hand, as Meteo already stated, KONTAKT! If you wanna go professional, you'll need more than just either (or even both) of these products. If you're gonna be a substitute for a real orchestra, EWQL is far from enough. You'd probably need stuff like LASS to get close to real.

My recommendation is to get Komplete for versatility and to be able to use high-quality third-party Kontakt libraries.

Well sounds like all legit reasons to start off with Kontakt at least. And freeware, could you point me in some directions for such synths? Like websites, names or just other threads.

Well sounds like all legit reasons to start off with Kontakt at least. And freeware, could you point me in some directions for such synths? Like websites, names or just other threads.

I usually just point to FreeAlpha and TAL-Elek7ro II as they're cross-platform with a good interface and a fair amount of options. If you're going into scifi sounds, you may want to use more Absynth (in Komplete) and other more pad-oriented tools, but for most subtractive synthesis, these two should do.

You can search KVRAudio for more.

• 4 weeks later...

well, depends on at least 2 things: how big your hard drive is and how much $$ you plan to spend when I started the VG stuff like 3 months ago I'd already pissed away lots of money. lucky for me I found GPO that helped. later on, I purchased World Instuments (cuz world is my style). there's also a pretty decent free guitar VST(free is good right? lol) out there. hope this helps.