Jurassic Park (SNES) - Triceratops Trot (Mountain Area) - Orchestra Remix - Version 3

This remix is from one of the best tunes of Jurassic Park for the SNES, an awesome game. It's an epic orchestra mix, but there are also a few more mellow sections. Enjoy, and review!

Version 1: http://soundcloud.com/jordanrooben/ticeratops-trot-remix

Version 2: http://soundcloud.com/jordanrooben/ticeratops-trot-remix-2a

- Replaced the samples with much better ones

- Removed the short french horn riff at the end

Version 3: http://soundcloud.com/jordanrooben/ticeratops-trot-remix-3

- Altered the dynamics to be more dynamic

- Added a couple modulations that are used during the quieter parts

- Changed the key of the entire song from C to F#

- Changed the 'B' lead from french horn to woodwind

-Did the same in a later section

- Replaced the boring chords with a higher-quality progression

Sounds like you have some decent samples used for this track. However, there's the issue of making them sound human - there's no variation in dynamics, at all. There's also the issue of balance, which the horns really bring to light, in particular, when it blasts at triple forte while everything else is mezzo piano, at best. Try to use your samples as if there really were an orchestra playing them - add swells, shape phrasing and vary the dynamics at least a little bit, there. Also, be sure to balance all of the instruments so that there's little issue with sudden bursts of unexpected sound.

Some of the arrangement is pretty neat, but harmonically it's a bit on the boring side. I understand that those are the harmonies used in the game, and I think you can stick with them if you really want to (varying them would be wise, though), but you certainly need to fix the voice leading if you're going to make an orchestral track like this. People yell at me when I talk about counterpoint, but you really need to use good counterpoint if you want a nice sounding orchestra - parallel fifths and constant similar/parallel motion just doesn't sound good, especially in this context.

I hope this helps you out, as I really enjoy the source you're trying to tackle here. Best of luck!

J- This is what I meant about "knowing what you are doing" with a library like this one. There is a lot to it, getting these instruments to behave! There is a lot to know and learn. Hopefully someone with EWQL will jump in with a good place to start learning this.

Well, to be fair, all of what Gario said is true for any orchestra (not to mention all music) libraries. But yeah, I'll work on all that stuff.