*NO* Final Fantasy 10 'Trance of the North Pole'

DragonAvenger

• 2 months later...

First thing i noticed is that the drums are feeling flimsy. There is some sort of presence to the kick, but it's backloaded and doesn't feel powerful at all. The snare is lacking a peak and is more of a dull thud. A lot of the synths themselves feel pretty thin and basic as well as a bit muddy, when they should be dynamic and exciting. The soundscape actually feels smaller here than the original, and for trance to be effective, your space you are dealing with has to feel absolutely massive.

The arrangement is personalized a bit, but could definitley use a bit more expansion.

THis needs a lot of work, especially in the production area. I think hitting up the WIP forum and getting some extra tips and some specific advice would be a good move to improve! :-)

No

There's really little to add to what Andrew has already said here. I do like some of the personalization you added to this track, and I think you could definitely take it further. Overall the soundscape needs to be expanded and improved on more, and it will take some work in that aspect. I recommend listening to some trance artists that you like and hearing how they fill out their sounds and make everything so big.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

indeed, not a lot more to add unfortunately. the arrangement is a fine start, a bit conservative, but you show some chops. ultimately, this is just suffering from amateur sound design/production, and there's not a lot of guidance to offer aside from keep writing music, and comparing the instrument quality/mixing/balance with other artists tracks. a penchant for good production just comes with practice.

as far as some straightforward crits for this piece, the drums are definitely way too quiet and lack punch, as OA mentioned. you have several kinda similar synth timbres going on most of the time, they can tend to sound muddy or bleed into each other, try cutting out some of the frequencies on each instrument with an equalizer so that they all occupy their own space without stepping on each others toes. and in general the synth sounds were kinda generic sounding and static- adding some more sweeps/automations can help give a part more life.

best of luck and keep at it.

NO