*NO* Street Fighter 4 & 2 'ToD'

Liontamer

Street Fighter 4 (Main) and Street Fighter 2

Ok, I'll level with you guys; I never liked the Blanka theme, but speeding it up (a lot) and modulating it made it one of the most killer sounding melodies ever when put on top of a modified C. Viper theme. Who knew that was all you needed to do? :P

Part DnB, part metal, fully aggressive; this arrangement trims away pretty much everything but the basics and keeps it tight. ToD stands for 'Touch of death' which is fighting game slang for a ridiculously brutal combo, ending in either a KO or stun. Such a badass name needs a badass mix, and I think this lives up to it.

-Andrew

C. Viper's Theme

Blanka's Theme

I mentioned this to Andrew when hearing the early WIPs for this one during the compo, but I'm still legitimately bothered by the weak drum tone and sparse textures. There's a lot of volume, but the elements were thin. The strings lacked the body or warmth to fill out the background space.

From :20-:41 and later on (e.g. 1:09-1:30, 1:50-2:00), it sounds like the cymbals and drums are clipping/distorting. There's a crunchiness or something going on that's really unpleasent.

Loved the bass writing from :41-1:04, though the mixing for this section felt off. The background electric guitar & e-piano writing (if I have those parts right) was well-written, but too quiet to be fully appreciated. Enjoyed the Blanka arrangement in particular, as well as the tradeoffs between that theme and C. Viper's. The Blanka theme at 2:59 felt like too much of a copy-pasta as far as arrangement ideas, but it was brief, and the arrangement itself was strong.

Honestly, I like the structure and flow here, and the arrangement works, but the persistent distortion (biggest issue), some thin-sounding instrumentation, and lesser balance issues dragged this down too much as is. Would love to hear this touched up so everything was sounding fuller and more cohesive.

NO (refine/resubmit)

• 2 months later...

Definitely siding with Larry on this. Brutal arrangement/performances, as usual; those guitar chugs are intense! However, the balance/production feels... not quite where it should be. Like Larry said, the volume is pretty loud but there's a very thin quality to the instrumentation... can't tell if that's a compression issue or not, you'd probably know better than me anyway, Andrew :-P

But yeah, the drums sound very distorted and your snare is just weaksauce, and the levels aren't quite balanced in a way that fully fills out the soundscape when the guitars aren't there. Resub this, I've got full confidence that you can get a better sound out of this arrangement.

NO (resub)

Great energy here man. I like the style you've brought here.

Production definitely is a big issue here, though. There's a lot of distortion from hitting those compressors way too hard. I know you wanna push the loudness of the track given the metal/dnb genre, but you gotta be really careful with how you go about it.

I can hear the crits on the thin sounding instrumentation, but I'd like to hear this with the levels toned down from overcompression before I pass TOO much judgement on them. Parts like the snare may sound quite a bit different once they're not being squashed down.

There's a ton of potential in this track, so I'm hoping we see another go around.

No, resubmit please