Project Tristania 2 - Musicians wanted!

Reactor

First of all, greetings to everyone in OverClocked ReMix!!!

I just started my online career as a remixer and musician, so it's always very nice to belong to a community with so many talented musicians and remixers :smile: I'm happy I found this website. I can tell you all about it - even ONE of you is an epic win above X-Factor, and the thousand other clone musician-clown shovelproductions.

The name is Reactor. I'm the current leader of the Lambda Team, and the creator of the dark-gothic themed FPS game "Tristania3D". I single-handedly put the whole game together with 6 years of hard work - including the great majority of the game soundtracks. Damn it was hard work! However, I had no musicians or anyone else at my disposal, who could help me wit' fixing together Tristania3D, so I had to do this by myself as well. Luckily, I met an extremely talented musician (silentzorah), who helped me out with the MIDIS for Tristania3D. Thanks to our combined work, the music of Tristania3D became successful, I even published a double-layer musical album consisting all the songs inside the game.

And now, the fans of the Tristania band, and the game want to see a sequel for Tristania3D, this time, under modern game engine. I am fully willing to do this just like I did its predecessor, I am already working on the foundations of Tristania 2 - but there is a slight problem.

silentzorah's machine went boom-boom, so he can not help me with the music of Tristania 2 anymore. Therefore I shall need your kind help to finish the musical part of the game. I'm already done with the majority of the songs, but there are still some musical parts, which need to be worked with. Your help will be greatly appreciated, as I can focus on other parts of the game (like the graphics, weaponz, story and pretty much everything else). I strongly believe that you have WAY more talents at music than me, so I decided to recruit some willingful musicians for my project.

I would not ask you - or anyone - for that matter to write a full musical album all by themselves, I will do this on my own as well. The problem is, the raw materials I currently have are unusable, because they are not in MIDI format. Primarily this would be my ask towards you - recreate these raw materials in MIDI in the original format. I'm pretty skilled working with MIDIs, but until these raw materials are in different format, I am unable to use them - thus, I can't work on the musical parts of the game.

Some other songs are mainly finished, but they're mighty short, and I would like to have them extended (not by repeating itself). Please signify if anyone would be interested in accomplishing these tasks :)

Whoah!

Tristania is one of my favorite bands. This is so cool :).

I'm not sure I fully understand your post though. What exactly are the raw materials you need recreated? Are they mp3s? The band's songs? More information might be helpful if you want people to volunteer.

Good luck with the project though!

P.S. This also reminds me that I still need to play the game. I tried getting it to work a while ago and had some trouble. I'll have to try again.

Thank you for your quick response :) I knew I just came to the right place.

Well, let's see all the songs which are uncompleted, and what to do with them. Note that if you REALLY have THAT much free time, you may just create your own version of the raw material instead of recreating it in MIDI...it would be a pretty big ask, so I don't count on it. I'm fully happy if you just do what needs to be done :) From MIDI, I can compose quite a spectacular song afterwards :)

(these raw materials were originally composed for Tristania3D by some of my life-long friends who own a synthesizer, but they couldn't compile'em to MIDI...they said this will have to do :whatevaa:)

Most of them are in MP3, only one is in MIDI, and three more tracks are in XM (although I can provide MP3 for them)

- Intro song: This needs recreation in MIDI and extending it a little bit.

- WeaponPickup: This just needs recreation in MIDI.

- Glass Dreams: Recreation in MIDI, and maybe maybe a little extension.

- Process Singularity: Recreation in MIDI, and extension...too short.

- Rainy weather: Recreation in MIDI.

- Die: Recreation in MIDI (note that you don't actually HAVE to do the entire song...it consist fragments which are the same, I'll mix that afterwards).

- System control: Recreation in MIDI.

- Unrelenting 1 and 2: Recreation in MIDI and mixing together.

- Heck freezes over: Recreation in MIDI (the crystal sound can be left out)

- Goth in the desert: This one WILL need remastering. Just make sure you try to stick to the original music as much as possible :)

- Goth in the desert 2: A little remastering with extension, so the song will not be too repetative.

- Machine dreamz: Recreation in MIDI, and extension.

- Star Evil: This is a masterpiece. This WILL need remastering, treat it gently :)

- You will die: You don't need to recreate it in MIDI, just extend it a bit so it'll be less repetative.

- The Barricade: Recreation in MIDI and perhaps a little extension.

- Caught-yardz: Recreation in MIDI.

- Enter da Empress: Recreation in MIDI, and perhaps a little extension.

- Main theme song: Recreation in MIDI, and a little extension.

- Power control: Recreation in MIDI.

- You are going to be DEAD!!!: Recreation in MIDI, and a little extension...it's still unfinished.

- Skylancer: Recreation in MIDI.

- Tower Power: Recreation in MIDI.

- Tower Power remixed: Recreation in MIDI.

- City of Doom: Recreation in MIDI.

- Water-way-2-go: Recreation in MIDI and extension.

- The Diadrons: Recreation in MIDI.

I'll upload the archive VERY soon.

Note that if you REALLY have THAT much free time, you may just create your own version of the raw material instead of recreating it in MIDI...it would be a pretty big ask, so I don't count on it.

Well, I myself would find it much easier to just compose a brand new one as opposed to transcribe, if you're giving us that option.

Well, I don't really know which one is easier for you (I use Anvil Studio for composing), so I let it up on you.

The main thing is, it should be as close to the intended original as possible :) This is all. For the rest...well, use your own fantasy :smile:

Well, like I said, I'd be interested to try a few of them if we could get a more specified and clearer idea kinda how you want them. I'm still a little confused on it (but less so than before).

Also, is this a free gig or paid? Either's fine, but for free gigs, the proper thing to do, if you're giving artists the option of creating original work for it, is to give them considerable freedom to create what they feel is best for the project. "Close as possible" is a good and fair standard, but I hope you're exercising openmindedness alongside it so that work can get done. I've done work for a lot of supervisors for free and many of them act like you're blessed to be able to volunteer your time and skills to them - it makes working for them horrible.

And that's what I have to say on that. I sent you a PM btw. Please let us know on this and what we could contribute, it sounds kinda fun.

Thank you in advance for your interest in Project Tristania 2.

Well, first of all, Tristania 2 will take YEARS of work, since I have no programmers, modelists, graphicsists, so I have to do all this by myself. Whilst this wasn't so bad at Tristania3D which used EoD engine, Tristania 2 will be a bigger fish to fry. I have decided that Tristania 2 should use GZHexen engine, which is modern as can be, it's free, and it's also very flexible and can be easily modified. This also means working wit' it will give me a lot more work. If the game's creation requires 6 years, then it'll be 6 years - but eventually, it will be done. Even the Tristania band was interested in the project - I personally gave their own Collector's CD-ROM edition of Tristania3D at October 2 last year. I can tell you all about it...it was a great honour :)

This, however, doesn't apply to the Tristania 2 musical album. We can release it along with the game, but also we can release it sooner (I'll upload the album on Youtube once the game is completed, just to keep the whole project more organized). The GZHexen engine can handle digitized music (MP3), so what you and I compose shall be in the game during the levels. Every other song which is not included in the archive is already composed by me, or I will use Tristania songs for those particular levels (I am authorized by the band to do this, but Tristania's own track will not be included at our album of course).

Seeing that this game is mainly owned by the Tristania band itself, I figured that it should be a free project, the game itself will be also free to download & play, just like the first part.

Artists' freedom is not a problem...as you will see, these raw materials I have give them as many freedom as they'd like to have. My only ask is that the remastered song should be considerably similar to the raw material itself :) Once you listen some of them, you will see what I mean. Above this, I really don't mind - actually, I'm more than happy - to hear the artist's own interpretation of the song, they will also be included to the musical album of course :) I just really don't want to make the musicians do double-shifts when recomposing an MP3 song to MIDI is hard enough. Trust me, I did this quite a few times during Project Tristania3D with silentzorah.

Above this, you're truly free to remix and remake these raw material songs to your hearts' content. I am really happy that I can work together with such remarkable artists.

I'll respond to the PM right away!

Well folks - here is the package for you! (no virus, no registration, no adware)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1232275/Tristania2materials.zip