Kid Chameleon

DrumJ8

I love Kid Chameleon. I have fond childhood memories playing it on Sega Genesis, and as a child it always was one of the hardest games that I never beat. A few months ago I saw someone doing speed runs on it, and actually seeing someone beat it made me believe "hmm I can beat it too" and then, I beat it on my own on PSP, but I digress.

Questions.

1) Does anyone else LOVE this game and feels that it's weird that it doesn't get a lot of attention? Sure, it's no Mario, Zelda, Sonic, etc etc etc.. Maybe it doesn't line up along the rest of the classics (although it does in my heart) but on the interwebs there's almost no attention given to it, unless I'm just completely missing it.

2) Does anyone else LOVE the music in this game? Talk about funktastic.

I loved Kid Chameleon, it was indeed incredibly hard and I never managed to beat it back in the day either. You're right that it doesn't get enough love and to be honest it could probably benefit from a current-gen remake; the whole concept is pretty awesome.

There used to be a Sonic comicbook here in the UK (imaginatively called Sonic the Comic) and they ran a Kid Chameleon strip for a while. Was a very cool take on a game that had very little storyline.

I loved Kid Chameleon, it was indeed incredibly hard and I never managed to beat it back in the day either. You're right that it doesn't get enough love and to be honest it could probably benefit from a current-gen remake; the whole concept is pretty awesome.

There used to be a Sonic comicbook here in the UK (imaginatively called Sonic the Comic) and they ran a Kid Chameleon strip for a while. Was a very cool take on a game that had very little storyline.

See, I'm glad I'm not the only one.. it'll always be a classic to me. I remember reading about that comic too. It should definitely be remade. If it were made into a horrible movie, I would watch it and love it, that's what would happen.

I kind of wish people today would look back and say "I love the classics... Mario... Zelda... Tetris... Kid Chameleon..." haha I guess you can't force people to like something or give it attention, but ... I just love the game so much.

Dish is exactly what I'm talking about. Just me and Trism huh? More Kid Chameleon for us then heh.

I actually recently contacted someone regarding their Kid Chameleon remix, and I started working on one today, yay. I'll post it in the WIP forum soon. If you haven't played it, I highly suggest it, at least try it. It's from 1992 but it definitely holds up for me.:mrgreen:

um... just checking, DrumJ8 have we met before? :)!!

regardless, if i had to name one non-sonic game that made me love sega it would have to be kid chameleon (with comix zone and vectorman close behind). i don't want to gush and wank about it too hard, but the level designs were highly memorable (imo), and i loved how the difficulty was all over the place. you'd have one level where you're just flying around collecting the diamond thingies and then the next level would consist of running from the drill of doom. ah, good times.

and don't get me started on the soundtrack... i mean it's not SoR-level complexity, but it's one of the grittiest, filthiest demonstrations of the YM2612.

yeah i've got a lot of cleaning up to do for a Devil's Marsh remix i'm working on, but i'll be showing some love for Kid Chameleon once i get my electro muscles in shape. ^_^

Few games made me like and loathe it at the same time.

Kid Chameleon is one of them.

Haha, maybe that's what it is, maybe not many people love this game cuz it really was just that damn hard .. but for me it's a frustrating classic. Or maybe it's an acquired taste. I actually just got my PSP version back today after letting my brother borrow it. Let the fun times begin again. :-P

um... just checking, DrumJ8 have we met before? :)!!

regardless, if i had to name one non-sonic game that made me love sega it would have to be kid chameleon (with comix zone and vectorman close behind). i don't want to gush and wank about it too hard, but the level designs were highly memorable (imo), and i loved how the difficulty was all over the place. you'd have one level where you're just flying around collecting the diamond thingies and then the next level would consist of running from the drill of doom. ah, good times.

and don't get me started on the soundtrack... i mean it's not SoR-level complexity, but it's one of the grittiest, filthiest demonstrations of the YM2612.

yeah i've got a lot of cleaning up to do for a Devil's Marsh remix i'm working on, but i'll be showing some love for Kid Chameleon once i get my electro muscles in shape. ^_^

YES Sir Jordanius we have met! I was the one that emailed you.

I have the Sega Genesis Collection on PSP and I think I've played only Kid Chameleon a bunch, and maybe Sonic or Sonic 2 a few times. But it also has Comix Zone and Vectorman as you mentioned so I'll have to check those out as well. I literally never saw the end of KC until maybe a year ago on youtube, and seeing someone else do it kind of gave me the confidence to do it myself. But as a kid, it was always that game that I could never beat but always kept trying. The music is amazing, I still have no real idea who Nu Romantic Productions is other than googling a few names like Mark Miller. Is he even still composing? The music is funky, groovy, .. very well put together.

I'm really looking forward to hearing your remix. I actually started one yesterday and posted it in the WIP forums and got some really good feedback so far, but most of the stuff mentioned went over my head as my production skills/knowledge are pretty minimal.. but I'm excited to study up on it and work on it some more.