Final Fantasy 6: Song For The Dead

GallenWolf

Hi all!

The FF6 compo is complete! Woo!

I'm hoping to get some brutally honest, constructive feedback on this piece I worked on.

http://soundcloud.com/gallenw/lied-f-r-die-toten-ff6-remix

Source: Final Fantasy 6, "Rest In Peace"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTjmJU5_Pr8

I have little idea how to remix, and I approached this by playing the source, wiggle in some improv, then finish up with a solo fiddle playing the source. I had imagined, visually, this was several soloist playing a memoir for their friends.

Libraries used were mainly Logic's built in stuff, Garritan World Instruments for the fiddle, and EWQLSO for the solo trumpet/oboe.

Nice touch with the opening effect of people gathering, to remember their friends..

It reminds me of the Collegium Musicum ensemble during college days.

Maybe try experimenting with adding different instruments. The shaker sound is repetitive, so maybe try adding a bass drum sound, and experiment with adding it throughout the whole track, or only when the flute sound comes in, or when the duet starts. You could try changing the rhythm of either the shaker, or added bass drum or other percussion instruments throughout the track. There are obvious sections that begin and end in the other instruments, so I think an obvious change in the percussion could potentially add a lot to the arrangement.

Like I commented on soundcloud, the solo fiddle sound towards the end is very overpowering, so work on adjusting the velocity and/or volume.

This remix was less flashy than most of the other ones and I think that factored into my voting.. but listening to it now it's quite nice, I like the harmonies during the duet. It's nice to focus listening on one remix for once, as opposed to listening to 34 remixes then voting.

Hello mate!

Thanks for the crit on SC :) Well appreciated.

Also, the suggestion of adding different instruments, that is a very valid point that I will definitely keep in mind and use next time I work on the rhythm section.

Yeah I was quite taken aback by how much energy most of the other mixes were in the compo. When I was arranging this I was at a loss at how to make things more engaging, as I truly believed this needed to be on the more melancholic side.

I hope to re-orchestrate this as I just got vsl solo strings (like... yesterday...) and should be getting some brass & winds with proper legato in a month or two.

Cheers!