• 3 months later...

necropost of great review AHOY!

KDCEnglishBoxart1.jpg

Kirby's Dream Collection Special Edition

Platform: Wii

Developer: HAL Laboratory, Inc.

Genre: Platformer

-------------------------------------------

As I'm sure most of you are aware, 2012 happens to be Kirby's 20th Anniversary, and our little pink puffball got a hell of a collection to commemorate it than a certain plumber did for his 25th. This collection is Kirby's Dream Collection Special Edition, a Wii disc that really is something to collect. Priced at just $40, the disc contains all three Dream Land games, Adventure, Super Star, and Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards.

There's also a History mode that lets you see what year Kirby games came out, look at trailers for those games and hear a song from each, and read a few corresponding real life tidbits too. In addition, lurking within this mode are three full episodes of Kirby: Right Back At Ya! New to the collection is New Challenge Mode, which builds upon the Challenge levels of the recent Return to Dream Land.

Kirby-Dream-Collection-Screenshot-1-465x256.jpg

The past games themselves are presented as they were, be it the grayscale of the first entry or the chalky look of Dream Land 3. Borders now take up screen space, but it works. My only gripe is that it's tricky to get back to the main menu; you need to Reset from the Home menu to do that. The games are timeless fun, and still good to this day (well, except for the original, but I'll deal with that).

As for the New Challenge mode stages... they're great. This mode consists of three worlds, and much like in Return to Dream Land, highlighted letters spell out something. In that game, they spelled out CROWNED, but here, it's HAL, a nice nod to the developer. Though the first two worlds hold abilities from Return to Dream Land, the last one contains one only seen in Amazing Mirror: Smash. Yes, Kirby's moveset from Super Smash Bros. is available to use in a few stages in this collection; it's quite fun, I must admit.

eHJvdDZ4MTI=_o_kirbys-dream-collection---trailer.jpg

Now, this collection isn't just games and nostalgia, no way. Included with the game is a 45-track CD consisting of tracks from nearly every game in the series, along with three new tracks. The song choice is great; though Fountain of Dreams may be absent from Adventure and Nightmare in Dream Land's selections, it is present in its Air Ride iteration, which is probably the best version outside of Smash Bros. The new songs are great too; Electro Kirby took me by complete surprise, I must admit.

There is also a 45-page booklet (weird, I know) that details Kirby's history along with an insider look at concept art and rejected ideas for literally every Kirby game there is. The cover has an exclusive piece of art made just for the anniversary and it only gets better from there. Little tidbits such as an idea for a Guard Bomb triggered by a long block in Super Star or Waddle Dee actually doing something in Crystal Shards just make it all the more special. I wish they'd done the star-shaped track in Air Ride, by the way.

kirbysdreamcollection1-e1348691347792.jpg

So, in the end, is this collection for anyone who wants a good game, or is it only for die-hard Kirby fans? Personally, I think it's the former; not only does it include 6 of the best Kirby games, but it also is very reasonably priced. Kirby games are also great for pick-up-and-play; you don't need much time to set up at all. And if you like breaking high scores, you get ranked based on total points in the New Challenge mode. There's a little something for everyone in this collection, and you can tell a lot of love went into it. Pick it up if you get the chance; Kirby's still here and he isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Might as well celebrate with such a fantastic collection. Until next time, game on!

I've been a huge Kirby fan since Super Star, which is by far my favorite one of the bunch. Squeak Squad comes close though. Too bad they couldn't add the GBA games into the collection. I also really wanted Air Ride to be included. That is such an underrated and misunderstood racer.

Anyway. Looking forward to playing Dream Land 2 the most since I've never played it. Dream Land 1 is too basic and Adventure I already played the remake of.

Whenever I get around to it (yeah I'm bad but I have reasons) I'll be doing a video review of this.

In the meantime, I just want ya'll who haven't played it to be aware of one small but potentially significant disappointment concerning Kirby's Dream Land 2.

KDL2 had Super Game Boy enhancements, but it seems they failed to implement them in this release. No borders, no rainbow colours...

This would have been ok if, say, those features had been unlockable by beating it, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Despite that, well worth the money. Five out of a half golden Kirbys out of Satoru Iwata.