*NO* Silent Hill 2 'Enkidu's Sacrifice'

djpretzel

it's been about a month since my last submission, so i'm not breaking any rules. :)

this one took about three days to complete. i got some bad ass help from the crew at #ocrwip at EnterTheGame, djpretzel, Joshua Morse, Geoffrey Taucer, Overcoat, and a couple of other people here and at ous. it's a...i really don't know what it is...but it is a remix of Theme of Laura from Silent Hill 2.

You can find the original here:

Heh. Hope you like it.

www.mythrilnazgul.com

the original is pretty cool, sounds like it might be tough to remix, though.

hmm. after that hot live-instrumental original, these samples sound kind of tacky. the groove is fine, but nothing's particularly holding my interest. it sounds like the original played over teh hoppity groove thang with tacky samples. In no way painful to listen to, but from the original it just seems like a step in the wrong direction, and aside from the groove, there isnt too much new going on to make up for the decrease in sound quality.

I've seen you improve a lot as an artist, but this has got to be a

NO

Silent Hill 2 OST - 01 "Theme of Laura"

Yeah, I remember pre-judging this one for Navid and going NO. Sounds very much like a WIP, and the samples definitely aren't used at their best. Definitely a step down in sound quality, unfortunately. Gonna rehash my #ocrwip comments, so apologies if you already saved those; most of those are still relevant.

The beats in at :23 are weak, too flat sounding; the snapping idea could be good, but right now I don't think it provides the right texture. The volume's been toned down a little bit on those, and there's more of a bassline present, but the track still feels empty. The bassline is beefed up, but it's too buzzy and indistinct-sounding, and just clutters up the soundfield. Get the bass sounding more focused.

The sequenced guitar at :23 is mechanical, the piano at :41 is mechanical though less so. The bass is also mechanical, and some of the very active parts like 2:15-2:25 really expose that. Keeping them more in the background now helps disguise that somewhat, but it's still noticeable how unrealistic the performances sound. The woodwind is a better on that level, but still has its cold spots.

The piano is a bit better 1:56 in; still mechanical, but not as bad. The cymbals are nice and light, but since you pumped up the bassline and made it so much buzzier, the cymbals are a non-factor now. Hand drums at 2:34 are OK, but sounded a bit dry and too much in the front.

Piano sounded a bit better around the 3:00 mark. Nice acoustic guitar idea from 3:07-3:10. Very stylish. The piano and woodwind still sounded mechanical; beating the point into the ground of course, but just making a note of it as I listen.

3:30 is um...meh. The sample sounds like the ocarina from Zelda 64, which (IMO) sucks. Doesn't really work here as the performance sounds more like something a keyboard would belt out, except to me the notes in that first flurry are coming too fast and mechanically performed, just like some OoT USF clip of the Zelda ocarina. Some of the phrasing sounded off at the beginning, and the e-piano (E-piano? Ah, shaddap Gray!) you're playing it with sounds all lo-fi.

I like the piano writing at 3:48; lots of flair there. Personal choice, but that last chord at 4:08 seemed unnecessary. I would have liked the resolution without it. Also, the last chord fades out too quickly at 4:12; again, personal preference.

Work on the humanization, and the drumbeats in particular. Those beats do a poor job of creating a cohesive sound here, as they flat-out sound like they don't belong here. Try some more effects and/or sounds, but change it up.

Like I said back when I suggested you up the presence of the bassline, new effects on the beats and sample humanization are critical before you start thinking of how to fill the track out. Needs a significant amount of work to have a shot. Don't get too eager to write a sub letter for a WIP and then work on it in order to beat the system. :-P You wanna be around 90% done on something so you have adequate time to work on the track, complete it, and get feedback for tweaks.

3:30 is um...meh. The sample sounds like the ocarina from Zelda 64, which (IMO) sucks. Doesn't really work here as the performance sounds more like something a keyboard would belt out.

I may be outdoing djp in the most ROFL correction in panel history now. That's not a slap bass.

But in this case, the performance sounds like a keyboard, because it indeed is - It's an electric piano, not an ocarina. That's not an ocarina. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Warning: One should never judge on the basis of omg, this is suxors compared to teh originalz!

That having be said, there are plenty of technical issues to resolve. The song feels sparse, as if some critical mid-range were being left out. Remember: good musicx is the least amount of instruments producing the greatest and most evokative amount of sound.

Percussion is sparse or repeats much too often with the same hit or sound. Variety be the spice of da phat b33tz.

There are also some odd pacing/mood changes that don't *quite* seem very well thought out. If the song is going to change in any great capacity, there'd better be a good reason for it.

NO.

-Fuller, broader range

-More detailed, varied percussion

-More... sentience with the arrangement, particularly arrangement choices

This resembles your CC mix in terms of some of the mix problems.

The main issues:

- sparseness, the middle range sounds vacant. This is easily resolved with thicker chords, better orchestration or even just adding some pads to sit in between some of the instrumentation.

- percussion and beats are nicely sequenced by they sound thin, there's no phatness.

- piano could be humanized more, still, but I think the flute is fine.

- needs more variety

Neat mix though, keep up the good work and keep improving. But it's not there yet.

NO

PS. This historic vote has to be blessed with a conclusionary and repeating statement of: Larry, that's not an ocarina™! :lol: