Not sure if this would be considered too liberal or not. Some help please

Quick thoughts:

The source really doesn't give you much to work with, since it's so repetitive. That alone, I think, would be a massive issue for the judges. You'd almost want to mix it with another source, just so you have some actual melodic content.

I think the judges also might take issue with some of the production values in your remix, as it seems to be very much on the "dry" side of things.

I can go more in-depth if you want, but I don't think you're going to have much luck with this source.

I'll give this a listen tonight when I can. I don't agree that a repetitive source would be used against him on the panel, though - they'd judge it like any other source. It's just tough to pull it off convincingly without becoming too liberal, is all.

Like I said, I'll give this a listen later today.

EDIT: I gave it a listen - it's pretty recognizable, no worries on that front. The production and soundscape does sound pretty empty overall, though. The pads are pretty skimpy, the strings don't have enough strength or humanization, and it gets a little repetitive. It captures the spirit quite nicely, though.

I'm not a staff member, but I'd say there's enough in the source to be a recognizable piece of music on its own. I mean, there's even a bit of melody halfway through! :)

You may want to make sure some of the rhythms, such as the rhythm of the bassline, are directly referencing the track. Since it's a pretty generic one-chord riff, I think it should be exactly the same (at least for some part of the tune) to qualify as being from the source. (Again though, I'm not a judge or anything.)

That said, listening to the source and your piece back-to-back, they certainly seem similar. I like how you interpreted the melody from the source into a very different sound.

Ooh, and I like the way the bassline goes 00:42. That's pretty close to the original it seems, but a little bit more funky. Listening up to that point, I was thinking the track sounded pretty generic, but that bassline funkiness is definitely.. it just made me smile. :)

I agree with Gario's crits though, it sounds a little empty/thin, and I'd like to hear a tiny little bit of something more going on in the track in general. A little more melodic/riff stuff added. Brainstormideasuggestion:: slow down the melody from the source 100% (so it's half as fast) and see if you can work out an additional melody/riff from that to include in the piece.

All in all, this was fun to listen to! Hope you work on it a little more so it's even more fun. :)

--Eino

Well this obviously isn't OCR material xD. I think I'm just gonna leave it as is, I really do like it the way I have it arranged and the elements and whatnot. I didn't want to detract from a mood that I had set when I didn't add any leads or prominent melodies(please correct me if I'm using incorrect terminology) and so in the process I seemed to have brought out a score that could be used in a film or something. I was waiting to see what Flex had to say but no responses.

I do appreciate the feedback and sorry to disappoint those who were wanting to hear more added to this. If this tickled your fancy, even in the slightest, just keep lookin around. I'll be sure to have some other stuff here or on soundcloud.

Well this obviously isn't OCR material xD. I think I'm just gonna leave it as is, I really do like it the way I have it arranged and the elements and whatnot. I didn't want to detract from a mood that I had set when I didn't add any leads or prominent melodies(please correct me if I'm using incorrect terminology) and so in the process I seemed to have brought out a score that could be used in a film or something. I was waiting to see what Flex had to say but no responses.

That's entirely your call, but really, the arrangement is fine, for the most part. The only issues that I'm personally having are production issues. You at least have one completed mod review from me, so take that as you will.

Either way, good luck with it.