DragonAvenger

I see what they did thar - Deia

Remixers: JoePotato28, TheGuitahHeroe

Song remixed: "Final Ganon Battle" (

)

Game: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Remix Link:

Remix title: Ganondorphine

JP28: I've known Jamison since we both started remixing, and it's about time we collabed on something. Anyways, I made the House sections, trying to give them a Daft Punk sort of feel, while Jamison worked on the Dubstep sections, giving it a swdngvksjdbv sort of feel. I wrote a large portion of the song, while Jamison worked his magic with the production. so yah thats it

TGH: First off I gotta say, Joe is a damn genius. He has a serious knack for taking weird sources, and making them even more weird, and in an AWESOME way. Kudos to him for arranging most of this mix.

The workload pretty much goes like this: of the three sections (pretty distinguishable), it went Joe, me, and Joe. The project was a few months in the making and Joe and I are both pretty proud of the result. It’s by far the weirdest remix I’ve ever taken a part in making, haha!

Hope you guys dig!

• 1 month later...

Really interesting concept here, definitely takes a source that wouldn't be touched by many people. The opening is definitely solid: it brought me into the mix right away and caught my interest. I think things lose steam after that due to the incredibly long build-up. I could argue that the meat of the track doesn't start until 2:30, and by them I have a tough time not spacing out. I don't feel like there's anything exactly wrong with the build-up except that it is too long and repetitive. Trimming the fat out of the intro (and some of the later sections that are repetitive) is my suggestion to keeping the track at a length that isn't going to lose your listeners.

In terms of production I think a lot of it is pretty good; you guys manage to keep the sounds clear despite a lot going on, and the balance feels good as well. My crits are mostly aimed at the opening; to me it doesn't feel in time with the snare that is coming in, and the snare itself sounds a bit flimsy (would love it to have a bit more crack!). Some of the sonic choices aren't my favorite either, but I'm leaning towards that being more personal preference. Maybe another judge can elaborate here.

To me this is really coming down to the repetitiveness, and I feel like trimming down some of those sections will make the difference here. The arrangement is unique, and I wonder that some of the other judges will not be feeling it, though, so I wish you good luck.

NO (resubmit)

Deia is quite correct here, the intro takes forever, and a lot of sections don't feel cohesive with each other. The individual elements contained within are fine, but the overall track feels like a bunch of ideas taped together rather than a planned out experience.

I think taking some of the elements and building around them rather than throwing everything into the blender and seeing what happens would be a better way to approach this.

Sorry, but I think this still needs a lot of work from a structure standpoint.

No

I'm nodding my head at my fellow J's thought's here.

I don't think everything leading up to 2:30 was meant to be an extended intro given that it has it's own breakdown sections and pseudo change-ups, however, because it never feels like it arrives at a melodic line or theme, it sounds like a very long extended intro. If you can get beyond that same repeating sequence to the melody or something more substantial, I think the first couple minutes could then be justified.

Crossfade transition at 2:20 sounded more like a switch to another song, rather than a transition to a different style. Transition at 4:35 was also a bit abrupt. Matter of fact, I think Andrew summed it up well that this sounds like a collection of ideas in different styles rather than a cohesive track. If you can work those together, and perhaps even narrow them down, it could really bring this track together.

More minor point, but it seemed that extended parts of the track came off as pretty sparse sounding, despite the volume of the synths. This is mainly the first two minutes and 3:33 - 4:35.

I can hear some good arrangement ideas here, but had trouble making things out for a surprising amount of the track. There's the backing repeating pattern for much of the first couple minutes, and the main melody at 4:36, but connections beyond those two sections were too much of a strech for me to clearly make out.

I know I've been harping on stuff on this vote, but that's not to say that there aren't positives from the track as well. Mixing overall is clean, and there's a ton of synth variety here to keep things interesting.

So yeah, super long vote (I hate it when I do that), but to boil it down, focus on getting the song more cohesive (transitions, and trimming out some parts) as well as source use.

No, resubmit please